302 Clevland????

Hum, Bullshit, superior simply means better, by any degree.

superior noun: 1 One that surpasses another in rank or quality. The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

The 351 Cleveland was simply superior to the 351 Windsor, no matter what silliness you toss out.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

PERFORMANCE:

1970 Mach 1

Engine: 300hp 351C V-8

Transmission: Three speed automatic

Axle Ratio: 3.00:1

Weight N/A

Acceleration Sec.

0-30 mph 3.5

0-60 mph 8.2

0-100 mph 21.4

Standing 1/4 mi 16.0 @ 86.2 mph

Top speed 120* mph

Source: Motor Trend, 4/70

PERFORMANCE:

1969 Mustang Grande

Engine: 290hp 351W V-8

Transmission: Three speed automatic

Axle Ratio: 2.75:1

Weight 3420

Acceleration Sec.

0-30 mph 3.4

0-60 mph 8.0

0-100 mph 21.6

Standing 1/4 mi 15.59 @ 89.09 mph Top speed 119 mph Source: Car Life 2/69 just the facts

Reply to
DRAGNET

Fact: Dragnet is a few cans short a six-pack.

You are looking at the wrong 351 Cleveland. Try the 330 horse version. Hint, look for the 1971 "Boss" 351 Cleveland...

Wait, that wasn't the engine in the mustang that is often said to be in the quickest (and heaviest bodied) production mustang ever is it?

The '71 Boss 351 is generally regarded as the quickest production Mustang. Car and Driver lists performance figures of 14.1 seconds at 100.6 mph in the quarter mile. Zero to sixty is reported as 5.8 seconds. A Motor Trend review of the '71 Boss reveals a quarter mile time of 13.8 at

104 mph on a test car outfitted with headers. With traction bars, a new clutch, and open headers, a February '71 "Hot Rod Magazine" article lists a time of 13.58 at 107+ MPH in the quarter mile.
The Ford Boss 351 (5.8 L) 335 "Cleveland" V8. Created in 1970, it uses the basic four-bolt Cleveland block and crankshaft but both are constructed from high-strength nodular iron. The cylinder head is modified for better airflow and solid lifters. Aluminum valve covers added to the look. The forged connecting rods were shot-peened and magnafluxed for strength, and forged domed pistons gave an 11.3:1 nominal (11.1:1 advertised) compression ratio.

Configuration: 90° V8, overhead valve Engine displacement: 351 in³ (5.8 L) Bore and stroke: 4.00 in (101.6 mm) by 3.5 in (88.9 mm) Bore/stroke ratio: 1.14:1 Bore spacing: 4.38 in (111.3 mm) Connecting rod length: 5.78 in (146.8 mm) Maximum power: 330 hp (246 kW) at 5,400 rpm Maximum torque: 370 ft·lbf (501 N·m) at 4,000 rpm Compression ratio: 11.3:1 (64.6-67.6 cc quench type chambers) Piston compression height: 1.631 in (41.4 mm) Carburetor: Autolite 4V, spread bore, 750 ft³/min Fuel: Premium leaded Valve train: Mechanical Valve lash cold: .022 in (0.6 mm) intake and exhaust, .025 hot

Get back to us when you net a clue.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

and everybody owns a boss 351, I'd love to see a race inspired 330 hp

351 boss vs smog legal 300hp 351w 95 cobra R.

legend & lore, great for bench racing.

Reply to
DRAGNET

"DRAGNET" wrote in news:1167720341.698263.170660 @k21g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Now you just showed exactly how much you know, which is zero. There were millions of 351M's installed in passenger cars. And the 400 Ford engine is one of the easiest engines to mod that Ford ever made. Car and Driver built a 385 HP version for less than $2,000. All it takes to wake up a 400 is a decent cam, especially the '71, which had 9.0 - 0 compression.

Reply to
elaich

show me a 351m in a car, trucks had 400 and 351m, cars only got the 400

Reply to
DRAGNET

looks like cars DID get the 351m from 75-79 along with the 400

still doesn't make a cleveland supeior

Reply to
DRAGNET

I want to buy a 71 400 to go along with my 73 400 that has a 302 bellhousing bolt pattern.

Reply to
DRAGNET

What is this about an oil problem? Had my oil changed about 4 months ago. Have since put on ~3500 miles mixed driving and the oil is still the color of honey at the full mark. Does this mean the oil is sitting in the pan and not being used? My Cleveland has an Edelbrock manifold stamped LB for lowdeck.

Sometimes Ford would use whatever was on the shelf at the time. You could find cars following down the assembly line, one with a Borg-Warner and the next with a toploader.

Toploader is the best.........

Reply to
goodnigh

Where did you get this piece of information? Did you get it from a Chevy guy or did you just pull it straight out of your ass?

Reply to
WindsorFox

Dude, your making a fool out of yourself. How old are you?

Reply to
WindsorFox

Everybody owns a ONE YEAR only 1969 351 Windsor four barrel???

You are an IDIOT!

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Yet your response again illustrates that you are an IDIOT who loves to spew your idiocy in public. You just continue arguing your ill advised positions, even when everyone else knows you are WRONG...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Millions of LTDs, Marquis', Torinos, Montegos, Cougars & Thunderbirds, Rancheros, LTD IIs, & the like had 351M/400 engines. Are you nuts?

Nice sleeper mods are available for these good breathing, smog-era large bell housing engines. Nice try.

Each has it's advantages. Lots more parts for the W. More marine support for the W. Better oiling in the W. Better heads on the C/M.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"DRAGNET" wrote in news:1167756062.565996.22460 @i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

How about 75% or so of the Granadas?

Reply to
elaich

WindsorFox wrote in news:Owxmh.28927$_44.26468 @newsfe23.lga:

I suspect this guy is one of those old wives tale collectors who only knows what he's been told by equally ignorant people. Next thing, he'll be telling us to take out our thermostat, and never use Quaker State. LMAO.

Reply to
elaich

Australia and New Zealand

Reply to
Jason O
351w vs 351c

351w, longer rods -winner

351w taller deck height -winner

351w block strength -winner

351w beefier crank -winner

351w years produced- winner

351w oiling- winner

351w availability -winner

351w aftermarket support -winner

351w stroker cubic inch -winner

351w low end torque -winner

351w narrower engine -winner

351w factory roller lifter block -winner

351c 4v heads, ports, valves to big for anything short of pro stock- loser

351c 2v heads- good ports,valves but open chambers- loser

351m 400 to wide for mid sized cars- loser

351m 400 must use fmx or c6 trans -loser

351m 400 no intake made to install 4v heads- loser

Reply to
DRAGNET

DRAGNET, Idiot -LOSER

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Well the 351 Cleveland came in several models there were 2 barrel version with 2 bolt mains. The best versions were Q and R code 351s with 4 bolt mains. the Cleveland version had a totally different design from the Windsor model. The Cleveland was put in the real high performance Mustangs of the early 70s. The 302 Cleveland was never made in Cleveland but it uses the Cleveland design and was built in OZ.

As you all know performance of an engine is based upon how well it breathes. the Cleveland heads had bigger valves and you different design than the Windsor head. The Cleveland engine was also lighter than the Windsor.

When I talked to the guys at the Cleveland plant back in the early 70s they were proud of the fact that their engine was considered the best that Ford offered.

I wonder if the OZ engine could still accept the old 351C heads and still has the capability to have 4 bolt mains? It sure would be nice to take an old 70s mustang around here and put a killer engine in it like the 351C. Any ozzies in the group know if you can buy a bare 302C block?

Reply to
Les Benn