69 nose in the air options?

yeah, my daughter emailed today to see if I was going to make it back there or not..... I just may have to go to rent-a-wreck... or fly and rent back there.....

Food channel just had a program >Spike's right NUTHIN goes on.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

When i flew out to CA last summer, I reserved a car for a week. I only paid $145 for the whole 8 days from Enterprise because I got it at the airport. Give it some thought Spike!

| >You got it sweetie... | >

| >But I betcha I see you here before you see me there! | >Only 5 more weeks! | >

| >K. | >(nice little prose ya scrawled out there Spikie!) | >

| | Hey! Spikey Likes IT! | 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok | Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior | Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" | w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

No "may" about it. If you want to drop your front ride height then cutting the coils will do it

Nothing unsafe either. There's a tang on the spring saddle that you line up with the tip of the coil. Too-tall spring, too-short spring, just right spring, it's all the same.

If you cut off too much, you either live with it or buy a new part. Likewise, that's no different than any other repair. You screw up your part, you have to buy a new part. The idea is to try not to screw up. That's why I cut off only 2" at a time. Yeah, it's time consuming.

Finally, buying "one inch drop" springs from a vendor is no guarantee of success either. Results vary from car to car. That vendor spring may install too short, and again you either live with it or you try to return it and try something else. It may install too tall, and there you are with a cutoff wheel in your hand after all. And as far as I am aware the one inch drop springs are available only in high rate models, e.g. 620 lbs/in. That may not be what faust has in mind. While cutting a few inches off an OE spring will increase the spring rate VERY slightly, it will be nothing like the filling-rattling result of a 620.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

[...]

that's what happens when your hard drive goes down....

*WEG*

| | Hey! Spikey Likes IT! | 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok | Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior | Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" | w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Don't take this as questioning your knowledge or ability, but let me ask you this... were you born with this knowledge, learn it from someone else, or learn it the hard way? Part of my career included training people to accomplish various tasks. All my experience and knowledge would not have attained the proper level of training, if I gave only half the information required. Therefore, I could not arbitrarily assume that the student had all of the knowledge and background needed to learn something new. And, in learning, a student generally learns best when presented with the information, then seeing it done, then doing it with assistance, and finally doing it on their own.

If you are giving instruction to someone who has never cut springs before, and they are going to do so on their own, then your advice may just fall into the scenario I described. Perhaps not everyone would know how much to cut, or know to line up the springs correctly, or a number of other conditions. Conditions I might add which cold lead to improper handling, and therefore be an unsafe condition.

Perhaps you also have tons of money to redo anything you screw up. Not everyone does.

Like the carpenter says, 'measure twice, cut once.'

If it was my car, I'd rather it came out right the first time so I can get right to using it again and still have some change to pay for gas. You're correct about the springs designed for this purpose. They may not do what is desired. But, there is far less chance for a novice to screw them up as there is with hit and miss cutting of the old ones.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

High-pressure gas-charged shocks (such as KYB) _can_ affect ride height; but just not to any significant amount.

However: you have _obviously_ forgotten about AIR shocks .....

Reply to
JohnJohnsn

I disagree. Springs hold the car up. Shocks control the movement of the springs. While high pressure gas shocks do have an expansion force built in, it is not enough to affect ride height. I, a 160-lb weakling, can compress KYB Gas-A-Justs with my bare hands; I would gauge the force required to do so is about 25 lbs at most. I do not think an expansionary force of 25 lbs applied to the front of a 3500 lb car with a 55/45 front to rear weight distribution is going to affect the ride height by even a hundredth of an inch.

Even though you left out the smiley, I hope you were kidding. Air shocks in the front? Or did you mean air bags? If so, you have completely left the scope of this thread. Faust wants a cheap fix, and now your saying I've forgotten something unless I bring air bags into the discussion? The hydraulic rams that the lowriders use in place of shocks affect ride height too, but I didn't include them in my comment either.

Please Faust, post something to let me know you aren't completely confused by all this. I'm just trying to give you some good advice, so you don't go running off and buying new shocks or tires that will give you no relief, or new springs that will add harshness and that may even raise the car or lower it too much. I do not understand all the static. Anyway, good luck.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Seriously... no intent was to light your fuse. Just that I have noted quite a few people with newbie views. That is, they have heard about something being done, and figure that's the way to go without knowing the options, or what is entailed in what they thought was the way. In order to make an informed decision as to what they want to tackle, they need as much input as possible.

I have experience those "just do it" people who lacked the mechanical skills, knowledge, etc to "just do it". The garage calls them basket cases. When the individual tried to do what they were not prepared for, and ended up hauling the project in to the garage with a request to put it right no matter what it costs.

I give people credit for trying to learn new things. That's great. But, they need as much information as possible so they themselves can make the decision whether they are up to the task. If not, they need an alternative. Whether to take the project to a pro, or to try a different approach.

And on that note, though you didn't need to, thanks for laying it out.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hey, thank you for not dinging me for (1) writing about devices for raising the front end, when the new shocks/big tire suggestions were directed at raising the rear end; (2) saying that cutting the coils will decrease camber -- this is true if you've done the Shelby control arm drop, but for an unmodified suspension cutting the coils will tend to increase camber; and (3) forgetting to include "remove the wheel" in my instructions for cutting the coils.

My nerves are a little frayed in this NG. Within the past two weeks I've had one guy go on for three or four days to refute my joking comment that the Camaro was a re-bodied Firebird, argued with me for several more days when I wrote that a car with a 110 ci advantage (5 liter vs. 3.2) ought to be able to beat the competition to the end of a long straightaway, called me a "f**king liar" for saying I was joking about a race series being named after the Pontiac Grand Am, and called me a "rabid f**king animal" for denying that I had been caught in an error (I had not, not that it matters). Then another guy writes that I've been convicted of child molestation and that I once stole a car.

So when I read that cutting a coil is bad advice for lowering the front of a Mustang, and that I'm wrong to think that shocks do not affect static ride height, because air shocks (which are actually an air spring and a shock absorber in one housing) can do so, I start to wonder if someone stuck a "kick me" sign on my back when I wasn't looking.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Ah, there's your clue that you tend to escalate things to levels you can't handle. Realize your limits and figure out how *not* to push everyone else's buttons.

If you find yourself troubled by things here when you're offline, then you are beating yourself up. You have to view this group (and usenet) as an interactive soap opera that goes away when the 'puter switches off. That's what I do. That's why neither your prattle nor that from the legions before you ever bothers me. I'm not concerned about what anyone here thinks about me. If I were I would have overloaded and fried the first year I was in RAMFM.

You and Patty are much too fragile. You want sterling reputations, but fail to foresee how others will view you in your attempts to quash those impinging on your self-ascribed righteousness.

And once your participation falls short of entertainment, who is

*really* the loser?
Reply to
CobraJet

The day I start worrying about how my behavior might influence basket cases like you and Wound Up is the day I WILL need the re-evalutions, etc., that you've been recommending lately. What I wrote was, to get the argumentative responses I was getting to my non-controversial advice that lowering the front of a Mustang requires shorter springs, had me worrying that your animus and Wound Up's was spreading to authentically intelligent and rational newsgroup members. That would not be a good thing. It kills me how you two fancy yourselves to be deep thinkers, yet you're both incapable of comprehension or rational thought. All effeminate hissy-fit emotionalism and egotistical self-reference, all the time.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
one80out

As an aside, in Usenet constant snipping of another's retorts is indicative of avoidance and inability to cope. You've done a stellar amount of this.

But it sure worked on you, didn't it? The amount of time you wasted proving nothing is laughable.

Leaving the TS number in your sig will not get back your membership, Wacko. You can beg all you want, but...

Reply to
CobraJet

"California Rake" is all you need to tell "everyone".

I've noticed that too in all model year Mustangs through 1973, not all models, but probably most. Think Bullit, think Diamonds Are Forever, & GISS (Gone in Sixty Seconds). All "California".

1970-1981 Camaros / Firebirds (from the factory) are noticeably "California" too.

The F-Bodies, and Mustangs, were frequently immediately "jacked-up" by their owners to a "Southern Rake" with springs/shackles/air shocks etc.

I liked the Mopars... a turn of a bolt to adjust the torsion bars was all it took to adjust the front end height.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It's been so long since I've even though about the "rake" - I think I may have switched the "California" vs "Southern". Anyone?

You motorcycle guys know how important the rake is...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Can there ever be a thread that doesn't end with "CobraJet"?

180 Out TS 2

P.S. The reason for my selective quotations of previous posts is because the Google Groups interface recently stopped quoting the post being replied to. Therefore in order to quote anything at all I have to copy and paste it and install my own ">'s" on the left margin. It's a tedious process, and infiintely more so when it's YOUR drivel I'm having to quote.

P.P.S. There, I cut down on the "TS" number. I'm thinking of Chuck Connors' broken sword in "Branded"; my TS number was broken in half when I was mustered out, so I'll carry the "2" around with me and use it when needed. (Here's a link in case you have no idea what I'm talking about:

)

Reply to
one80out

Can there ever be a thread that doesn't end with "CobraJet"?

180 Out TS 2

P.S. The reason for my selective quotations of previous posts is because the Google Groups interface recently stopped quoting the post being replied to. Therefore in order to quote anything at all I have to copy and paste it and install my own ">'s" on the left margin. It's a tedious process, and infiintely more so when it's YOUR drivel I'm having to quote.

P.P.S. There, I cut down on the "TS" number. I'm thinking of Chuck Connors' broken sword in "Branded"; my TS number was broken in half when I was mustered out, so I'll carry the "2" around with me and use it when needed. (Here's a link in case you have no idea what I'm talking about:

)

Reply to
one80out

Not with you in it.

Lame excuse.

And you wonder why I stick around here.

I watched this show as a kid. I remember it just fine. As I said, Chuck was tough and you are an aging punk.

And now the elementary school version of that show's theme song, circa early 60's:

"Stranded, stranded on the toilet bowl What do you do when you're stranded And you can't find a roll?

To prove you're a man You must wipe it with your hand And be freeee! ...from the bowl."

Reply to
CobraJet