an '03 'Vette beat me!

Sure, except it seems like an innocent usually gets creamed in the process. Unacceptable.

Reply to
Dana Myers

Unacceptable to you and me. Completely acceptable to nitwits who street-race, though; gives them the chance to do it again. That's why I hope this particular f****it--who was stupid enough to post about his stupidity and then defend it--takes himself out of the game as quickly as possible and, hopefully, badly enough that he'll need a closed coffin.

Reply to
doc

I agree completely.

| > Glass houses and all that. | Some people want to jump to the conclusion that all | street racing encounters are dangerous to bystanders. | It all depends upon the location and the time of day. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

and he was out on an open highway... I know better than to try to play with a new Vette... But late on one quiet evening while on my way south in California on a very clear stretch of freeway.... I got to play with a Viper for a couple of miles.

By the time we quit I know my speedometer was well over 130. Would I take it back? Nope, not for a minute.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Doc, That is so wrong. You would actually wish the guy this?

Just because he raced another car and you disapprove of where he did it? You're just not right.

I don't believe in racing on city streets or roads where there is traffic. Not any more, but up until about ten years ago if anyone even breathed a challenge at me I was ready to take them on any time any place. I have mellowed allot since then and seen my children grow up to become drivers and realized that the car that is racing down the road might either be them, or get T-boned by them. So, things and people change with time. I still let my Cobra stretch her legs when I see a good long straight stretch of highway in front of me. Often doubling the posted speed limits. Do I care if you approve? Nope. Not one bit. Yes, I know I take the chance that I may cream myself. At least I would die doing something I love... I just put the top down (oh yea, another safety hazard! call OSHA!) and let my pony run. I ENJOY it. So, are you going to bust me down to a minivan and give me three cylinders? I'd like to see you try.

But for you to so self righteously wish this guy some terrible accident that he would be killed and put in a closed casket? All I can say to that bub is.. you are some sort of whack job.

Like I said man... glass houses.

Kate

| > > If the stupid f*ck want to race on an empty road, let him. With any | > > luck--and it'll happen, eventually--he'll end up a bloody, mangled | > > corpse in a slag heap of twisted metal and raise the IQ of the human | > > race in the process. | >

| > Sure, except it seems like an innocent usually gets | > creamed in the process. Unacceptable. | | Unacceptable to you and me. Completely acceptable to nitwits who | street-race, though; gives them the chance to do it again. That's why I | hope this particular f****it--who was stupid enough to post about his | stupidity and then defend it--takes himself out of the game as quickly as | possible and, hopefully, badly enough that he'll need a closed coffin.

Reply to
SVTKate

You bet your sweet ass I would. My nephew got wiped out by a street racer on a supposedly open, empty road. The guy was doing 120 when he rear-ended him. My nephew lost most of his head but somehow managed to live for three days. On the advice of the doctor, my sister finally had them pull the plug. My nephew was alive, but only had brain stem activity. He got a closed coffin; there wasn't enough of his head left to reconstruct.

Fuck you. Lose somebody close to you to one of your stupid street heroes in a horrible way before you light off that big mouth of yours.

Reply to
doc

Hey, really sorry to hear about that, Doc. That is really tragic and senseless. I hope you and your family have been able to find some resolution, and some consequences have occurred for the guilty party, if he didn't kill or mangle himself senselessly as well.

From the tone of your posts, I sort of guessed something bad had happened in this realm to make you so angry; usually that's the case.

Most pe> "SVTKate" wrote:

Reply to
Jason O'Brien

Reply to
Deputy Dog

The regular plain ol' '03 Vette off the floor averages about a low 13 at 108-112 mph. Motor Trend got a 13.0 at 109 mph.

The ZO6 generally mid/high 12's at 114. GM High-Tech performance magazine got a 11.97 @ 118.80

The new C6s will be even nastier. The regular version is supposed to run just a bit slower than today's C5 ZO6. So that means the C6 ZO6 is gonna be a real monster.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Retired Law Enforcement throws in 2 cents....

You are fully entitled to your feelings, Doc, but, even after having seen and investigated the worst possible accidents, including having to inform my best friend that his wife, son, and unborn child had just been killed in a headon collision with a drunk who crossed through the medium strip....

.... my own son killed by a school bus driver decided to use the sidewalk as a street. Who would have known it could happen? Who would have known she would do something so stupid. I'm sure she didn't, and this is a mature adult with an outstanding record... 'til then.

And with all this, and more still, I would never wish such an unfortunate occurance on my worst enemy. I would much rather the individual live a very long life in which, every day, they have to live with the reality of what they did.

Like Kate, I was young once, (well, Kate still is) stoplight racing at

3 am in the middle of Seattle, and other stupid activities... even during the early period when I worked Law Enforcement. I was young and invulnerable. Such things could never happen to me; only to the other guy. Damn. That's the same way we felt when we went to Nam. That's pretty much how all kids feel. Perhaps you were the total exception. If so, you'd be the first one I ever had contact with.

Like I did, and it took some time, I hope, you will find closure and peace. Meanwhile, you have the sincerest condolences of one who has lost someone very close and knows what such loss is.

Someth>Doc,

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

My nephew was about a year out of the Navy and had been working construction, 12-hour days in DC, about 70 miles from his home. He left behind a young wife and a two year-old daughter.

The guy was treated and released into police custody the same evening. The guy had five prior DUI/DWI convictions and was driving on a revoked license the same night he killed my nephew. Someone told me he committed suicide a few months later. Sonofabitch took the easy way out, if it's true. Typical street-racer: no sense of responsibility, and can't face up to the consequences.

Too bad the people who think street racing is cool can't have it happen to them. I don't think it would stop most of them, though.

Reply to
doc

There's absolutely no excuse for anyone to be doing those kinds of speeds on any public highways; they're a disaster waiting to happen. Since they insist on courting that disaster, the quicker they kill themselves, the better off the rest of us are. It's just that simple.

Reply to
doc

Speed is one thing, street racing is another.

Reply to
Brent P

I felt invulnerable when I was young, but the stupid things I did never endangered anyone else. I think people who engage in some of these extreme sports today are pretty stupid, too, but they're putting their own butts on the line, no one else's. Street racers endanger everyone else on the road.

Thanks for those words.

I think the guy who killed my nephew DID commit suicide a few months later. We still have to live with the consequences of his actions, though; he took the coward's way out.

As for my children, if they do any street racing and there's a death as a result, yeah: I hope it's not some innocent. I could forgive my children if they killed themselves through stupidity and I could eventually stop grieving; I could never do that if they killed an innocent person the same way and I would never stop grieving for them or for their victim. That's just the way I am.

Reply to
doc

First, I'm truly sorry to hear that you lost someone that you love. It helps to understand where you are coming from.

| > Just because he raced another car and you disapprove of where he did it? | > You're just not right. | | Fuck you. Lose somebody close to you to one of your stupid street heroes in | a horrible way before you light off that big mouth of yours.

They are not MY street heroes. You didn't read my post.

Again, I'm sorry that you lost your nephew.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Doc, I have read all of your posts. I think I have a good idea where you are coming from. I know you are hurt, and angry. You have every right to be. In your shoes I might even have the same reaction.

Sorry for opening a wound.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Actually, it is true that there are far more accidents, even serious ones, at low speeds due to the reasons you cited. It's also true that the elderly are responsible for a high proportion per capita.... however..... the accidents at high speed, while fewer in number, are generally and accurately attributed to younger drivers.

The biggest difference, is that there is a far bigger mess at high speed. Those are the accidents where we had to sift through the wreckage even to ID the make and model, and ID of occupants was by fingerprints and dental records in most cases.

Docs position is no different than the general public. The things which directly impact you are the things you key on. Just as many patrol officers have "pet peeves". Some are death on DUIs. Some on pot heads. Some on speeders. Or on those who shave the stop light. Most often it's because they have some personal experience which keys them to one area, even as they ignore another. Twenty one years of police work reveals a lot, and I'm not even an expert.

Hopefully, Doc, will find his peace, and realize that really bad things do happen to very good people no matter what, and things are not black or white, but many shades of grey. Perhaps he will go out and push for something legally sanctioned to get these racers off the street and onto a strip, or some other worthwile project conducted in the name of the person he lost. Perhaps that will be his catharsis.

We all face loss, and we all grieve in our own way and in our own time. Until we have lost someone close to us and have walked that mile, let's cut some people some slack. God forbid it should be your friend, relative, etc. I would think that if it were and you flamed, you'd hope for a bit of understanding from a social group like this.

Don't take this as flaming you, CJ. It sure isn't intended to be. I have been through such a close loss; actually quite a few times if you count friends, co-workers, etc (nature of the job); and I emphasize even while I disagree with Doc. The matter should now be dropped, and move on to car things. He has heard the response, and I trust, in time he will see light at the end of a very long tunnel. Give him time to work it out for himself.

Been there; done that; got the hat, T shirt and emotional scars to show for it. V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net