any die hard V6 owners on here?

just wondering about the split port swap ... I have the list I need to get this done ...but wanted to know how much of a pain it is to get it done?

I hear 10 to 16 hours? (im thinking that form the wiring )

but does the EEC have to be flashed afterwards? or will car just take the new parts like plug and play ?

( for those who don't know its basically taking the heads and intake off a

99+ and putting them on a 94-98 its good for 45 to 55 HP )

yes yes I drive a V6 ...that's not the point of this post

thank you J,

Reply to
j.moffett

That's more than the difference between HP of the 99+ and the 94-98?? IIRC, the 94-98 rated something around 160-165 HP? The newer ones are rated around

190HP for a difference of around 25-30HP. Where are all those extra ponies coming from? -J
Reply to
jriegle

The 94-98 were rated at 150 and the 99+ at 190. It's similar for the GT, the '96-'98 were rated at 215-225 for the '98 and the 99+ at 260. But putting the 99+ heads on the earlier 4.6 will result in around 275 horses due to the compression ratio being higher after the swap.

Reply to
Mike King

at 12 Nov 2003, j.moffett [ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com] wrote in news:6Aysb.136051$ao4.426229@attbi_s51:

Interesting! How do I do this? When my mechanic did the engine swap, he checked into using a 99 or newer v6 but told me it would be a lot more work putting it in, way more stuff needed to be changed than with the

98 v6 that is in their now.

Is it just the heads? I remember something about a return fuel line as well from his list of changes needed to accomodate a 99+ engine.

Reply to
Paul

at 12 Nov 2003, jriegle [ snipped-for-privacy@att.net] wrote in news:Xpzsb.245023$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

The 94-95 V6 is rated at 145HP. The 98 engine is rated at 155HP. I have dyno data from the 98 engine in my 95 Coupe on my website. I believe as of 99, HP got bumped to 190 or slightly higher. Last year I did 18.2 on the 1/4 mile with a 95 V6 and standard clutch. This year, under similar circumstances, I did 17.018 with a 98 V6 and a Spec Stage 1 clutch on an otherwise unchanged car...

Reply to
Paul

I ran a 15.404 last month at Infineon in my 2002 Special Edition Miata, with Jackson Racing 6 psi S/C kit, last month just messin' around. Stock clutch, just the "standard" JRSC 990-280 kit. Maybe if I had some race gas in it and wasn't so into ECU timing retard... Maybe if I lost 30 lbs...

:-)

Dana P.S. One advantage of "chick" cars - chicks seem more comfortable talking to the male drivers of said cars. I'm a Ford-head, too, don't get your drawers in a bunch.

Reply to
Dana Myers

If the later heads just bolt in, then the rest of the trim doesn't change. I've never tried the said swap myself and, for glaringly obvious reasons, won't be.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

There's a pretty good article here:

might want to check out... Cheers Keith

Reply to
KB

at 13 Nov 2003, KB [ snipped-for-privacy@nospam.home.com] wrote in news:7xUsb.56119$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Thanks! Looks like to much for me to do. I got lost repeatedly reading the article. Interesting reading though. Explains why my mechanic did not want to use a 99 engine when swapping out my 95. To much extra stuff to make work. With extra things that can go wrong and skyrocket the price of the swap...

Reply to
Paul

thank you that's the one I was going to post when I got back on line ....

its the heads , intake , fuel rails and a few other parts ..off 99+ and the headers block and everything else form a 94-98

94-95 ... 145 hp 96-98 ....150 hp 99+ .........190hp

these are fords numbers.......

its about a 600 plus labor mod but well worth it if you can get it done right ....

you might want to check out...>

Reply to
j.moffett

I'm strarting to look into re-doing the top end on my 96 V6 - Morana Racing have some nice ported V6 heads and intakes that should add some power - that along with some roller rockers and a ported throttle body...

Anyone ever used parts from Morana - impressions?

Thanks Keith

Reply to
KB

do the split port its cheaper and more HP

Reply to
j.moffett