Cobra Stock Exhaust Vs. Flowmaster

And your point is........?

Reply to
JD Adams

Naaaa...I ain't posting sound bytes. Everyone has their own favorite exhaust setup, and everyone has a different idea of what sounds good. Mine sounds like Kowalski's 1970 Dodge Challenger in 'Vanishing Point' at a much more reasonable volume. My OEM mufflers are actually well tuned from the factory; the only bottleneck was those 6 cats, and after they were replaced, the tone was fabulous.

I've long-since attracted my share of police officers to my location with a loud, obnoxious exhaust tone, and as my Grandfather once said, "Noise ain't power." I'm happy with that I have now.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

I think he's amazed (doubtful?) that you got your hi-flow cats installed for $40 bucks a side.

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

I'm still wondering where JD said he got them INSTALLED for $40. Oh yeah, he never said that, he just said that he bought them.

Reply to
paul-1993

Read it again, smartass. I quoted exactly what he said - "I bought mine for $40 bucks each at the local muffler shop, installed." See above.

Try reading more slowly next time, sometimes that helps with comprehension.

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

They were installed at Muffler Tech in Stockton, CA 3 years ago, and they cost me $40 each, including labor. Unfortunately, the shop has since sold, and they now charge considerably more. When we had the wife's F-150 re-catted last year, it ran about $375 including labor.

Timing is everything.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

Damn, I just totally missed it.

Reply to
paul-1993

Here is a good site for Exhaust information and sounds, kind of a late response but I just got back from a two week trip to Tulsa tonight and am catching up.

Dennis

It's not really 10 hp, as a mater of fact on an otherwise stock engine the Flowmasters give you less than 1hp increase. (on a 5.0). The downside is that the Flowmasters are too open which cost you some low end torque. I had a pair of three chambers on my 88GT, and took a ride from San Jose to Reno one weekend. The drone on that extended up hill climb was enough to liquefy my brain. As soon as I was up enough at the tables I excused myself and had the damm things removed at the first muffler shop I could find.

Reply to
Ironrod

I know someone who swears that he lost 11 HP on the dyno by switching from Dynomax to Flowmaster mufflers. This is on a cat back system only.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I put a set on my '98 GT strictly for the agressive tone. After 6-9 months and a little carbon/rust buildup, they sounded like a migraine on wheels. I then discovered the magic combination of stock mufflers and high-flow cats, which gave me that nice, agressive growl without all that ear-splitting volume. LOL - I know exactly what you felt: at one point, I couldn't WAIT to get those damned things sawed off!

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams