Got Projectiles Inside Your Car?

Thought this clip was interesting enough to share:

-- There's a famous case about a guy in Wisconsin who was coming around a curve and didn't see the ice on the road. There was hidden ice, black ice. He skidded on the ice and hit a little tree on the side of the road going 30 mph. He had his safety belt on, even a shoulder harness. The man was killed by a box of Kleenex from the back-dashboard of his vehicle. The point of the box severed his spine. If you took a box of Kleenex, and shot it out of a cannon into the back of somebody's head, it would kill them.

There was another case where a box of Sucrets killed a woman. The little cough medicine in the metal box. She was killed by that box hitting her in the head from the back-dashboard.

Anything you have on your back-dashboard, get rid of it! Those cans of soda, eyeglasses, bowling balls on your back-dash, get rid of it! Can you imagine getting killed by one of those bobbing head dogs that they sell in the store? Everybody at your funeral will be bobbin' their heads, and saying "That's how he died!"

Police say that in crashes of 60 mph, an ink pen from the back-dashboard will go through the front windshield. If a pen can go through the front windshield, it will go through your head.

Reply to
NoOption5L

Good point for all to consider.

I for one will not be leaving a Bull Mastiff on the back shelf of my car. However, I will keep in mind the part about firing a box of Kleenex from a cannon.... just in case our local militia group runs out of ammo : )

I investigated an accident where a college girl returning home for the holiday, took an off ramp a little too fast. The car, a Triumph, left the ramp at low speed and kind of rolled up against a light pole. The roof was crushed down even with the top of the doors, bearing the indent of the metal pole. The driver was laying across the seats. Not one piece of glass was broken, yet the young lady was deceased, having suffered a very small impact mark on the side of her head.

Sometimes the simple th>Thought this clip was interesting enough to share:

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I call bullshit. If that were the case, any stone thrown up in front of a car moving at 60+ mph would go right through. We'd be replacing windshields every day of the week.

- Jafo '02 GT Black Not eggzackly stock.

Reply to
Jafo

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:51:30 -0700, NoOption5L rearranged some electrons to form:

Urban legend.

Reply to
David M

This is why the crash test done on the considered optional SSS (Super Sound System) never made production in our 93s. Conducted tests concluded the subwoofer enclosure could potentially go airborne. Think about that one...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

This may be an exaggeration, however, loose items on a back shelf remain at the same speed the vehicle was traveling if it suddenly comes to a stop.... Think of the crash test dummy. It does not stay sitting upright when the vehicle hits something...

Granted, the winds are considerably higher, but straw can be driven deep into a telephone pole as light as it is. Then consider that a small caliber round like a 9mm penetrates more easily than a large caliber like a .45. The .45 induces more "blunt force trauma". So, it would seem "possible" that a ball point pen shaped like a missile might penetrate more easily than a box of Kleenex...

Not saying it does or doesn't, but I would think it's possible. I've seen some mighty strange things at accident scenes. Things which don't seem like they should be, but they obviously are.

Objects >> Thought this clip was interesting enough to share:

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

An old movie cowboy named Tom Mix was killed when his car went into a ditch North of Tucson. Rumors had it that he was killed by a bag of coins he had on the rear package shelf. (That's right above the back of the rear seat for you youngsters:) Most likely a bunch of BS.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

David M,

I would guess that too. However, know that this clip of information was taken from a state-sponsored Florida driving school.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

I call BS on the box of tissues. I know, LEt's call Mythbusters. :)~

Reply to
Mark C.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

No, I would believe that. More so than a kleenex box anyway.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

It gives me a headache....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

LOL Video of Adam hurdling into a brick wall behind the wheel of "Earl" with 3 kleenex boxes on the back deck....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Was that the cube, the rectangle, or the pocket pack?

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Sounds like urban ledgend to me. The writing style is suspicious too. There is some merit in the concept though.

"back-dashboard" ??? ROFL!!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:43:47 -0700, "Big Al" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Perhaps not. "Tom died in 1940 in a weird automobile accident, the back of his head walloped by a suitcase that flew off the rear shelf of his single-seated roadster in the middle of the desert."

ZombyWoof

Then was it translated into Chinese then back again?

Reply to
SVTKate

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:26:38 -0700, Mark C. rearranged some electrons to form:

I love that show!

Reply to
David M

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:16:35 -0700, NoOption5L rearranged some electrons to form:

Well you shouldn't believe everything you read. ;-)

Reply to
David M