help with speedo removal

I am trying to take my cluster out of a 1981 Mustang but cannot get the speedo cable off it. There is a white plastic piece on the back that I dont want to break. Cna anyone tell me what to do?

Thanks

David.

Reply to
DM

"DM" wrote in news:ujq7g.243$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

You are supposed to squeeze the fitting so that the clip disengages. Unfortunately, the nylon hardens as it ages. Also, there is very little room and it's almost impossible to see what you are doing. It's one of the more frustrating jobs.

Reply to
elaich

Undo the cable either at the trans or at the speed control sensor (if equipped) and push some cable through the firewall. This makes the clip much easier to get to..

Reply to
Jim Warman

OK will give it a try..

Reply to
DM

OK, I am giving up. I really want to get to the wiring harness so I can try to figure yout which wire is for the horn... I can manueuver the Cluster away so at least I cna see the wires. I dont think I will go any further with the cluster in case I break it..

Reply to
DM

Ermmm.... you don't need to remove the cluster for the horn wiring. IIRC, this has the horn where you push in on the turn signal lever??? This wiring should pass down along the lower side of the steering column....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes thats the one... I will take a look..

Thanks Again

Reply to
DM

Whoever at Ford had that idea, should be shot between the eyes numerous times....

Reply to
WindsorFox