Mustang V6s...

I'm investigating the possibility of a used Mustang and I'm looking for information on reliability and serviceability of various V6s used. I know there was the 3.8, 4.0, 3.7 etc. is there one to avoid? One to prefer?

NOTE: I'll probably look for a V8 but there seems to be a bunch of V6s available for reasonable prices.

Reply to
XS11E

I have an '09, v6, auto, convertible. Silver, black top. I love it. Plenty of power in stock form. It has 74,500 miles already!

Serviceability is great/easy.

I looked as long as I could for a 5 speed but the few I found all seemed beat to death. I settled for the auto and it's the best auto trans I've ever owned, and I'm keeping it.

Added a few mods, an SCT X3/SF3 Power Flash tuner, dual exhaust, JLT cold air intake, and... Seems like something else significant that I can't remember.

The car feels so much stronger now! Not sure about the actual power, but I'm happy because each mod gave me a better seat-of-the-pants feel! What more do I need?

Also added the sequential turn signals, a chin spoiler, GT style spoiler (black) to replace the low profile spoiler that was from the factory, and black tail light trim.

Soon to add 3.73 gears... I keep telling myself that. Soon to paint, blackout, the space between the tail lights.

Fun to drive, not to pricy to personalize.

Reply to
twk

Thanks for the information, '09 is probably way beyone my budget, I'm considering mostly '86 - '93 as I like the looks of the Fox bodied car, the prices are within my budget (although it's hard to find a clean one!)

I'm considering automatic ONLY! I'm looking for a semi-sporty convertible to replace my Mazda Miata which is a stick and my arthritic knees, hips, back, etc. have notified me that a clutch is no longer an posibility. I got the Miata as I found an almost brand new 1985 Mustang convertible in 1905 and was unable to work the clutch. Several people said I should look at a Miata as the clutch is very light so..... I've very much enjoyed the little critter for 7 years of fun driving but it's not fun anymore, I notice I don't shift smoothly now and it's fairly painful to drive it for any length of time....

Reply to
XS11E

Avoid anything V8, pre-1999 with an auto trans.

Reply to
RichA

Why? They're rated pretty good on reliability? My budget determined I'lll probably be looking at pre-1999, 1986-1993 is my preferred range based on price and that I like the look of the Fox bodied Mustangs much better than the later models.

Reply to
XS11E

I'd really like to know why you'd say that? If you have some knowledge about problems I'd like to hear about them rather than find out the hard way!

Reply to
XS11E

8 cyl 90, 91, 92, 93 are great. manual transmission.
Reply to
jod beans

Not possible, read my original post. It MUST be an automatic.

If I could manage a clutch I'd never consider giving up my Miata, it does what I want, it's fun to drive and it's paid for!

Reply to
XS11E

1989 Mustang owners club on line two...
Reply to
WindsorFo

Nothing wrong with an AODE, Dee-White has one.

Reply to
WindsorFo

I'm still trying to get an explantation of this post from RichA:

"Avoid anything V8, pre-1999 with an auto trans."

He's not responded to my requests for information, does he know something or is he just talking to hear his head rattle? ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Probably the latter

Reply to
WindsorFo

Thanks, I'll continue my search. I'm looking a 86-93 because of price and I prefer the body style to the later Mustangs.

Gotta be auto, convertible and I'd prefer a V8 although I do recall a Thunderburp with a V6 and it moved pretty well.... I'm not going to be drag racing any Vipers.

Reply to
XS11E

I had an 88 notch 5.0 manual and a 90 vert LX 5.0 auto. The manual was a lot snappier. The 90 was fine for driving around and looked good. I have heard that the 88 were the most powerful even though the spec book shows them all the same. In the 88 I had to take the seat backs out, pull the upholstery and foam off and slip a piece of thin plywood inside teh seat shell to return a decent level of back support. Don't recall if I had to do that on the 90. But if you do get one and want to massage the seat back they are easy to take apart. Almost everything about them is easy to work on except the heater core.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

what about 88! Speed Density was said to produce the most power in stock form!!!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thanks for the information, I do need back support so I'll probably be doing as you describe.

Reply to
XS11E

That would have been the Super Coupe. It was a blown V6, there was also a turbo charged IL4 similar to the SVO Mustang.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Yes, but far less.... expandable :-P

Reply to
WindsorFo

Ooo! My 89 has a power lumbar support LOL

Reply to
WindsorFo

I know '89 and later have that but I'm not sure when it started or if it was on only certain models?

My Miata has a very simple lumbar support system, the seat back cushions are attached at the top and bottem only, it's simple to fold a handtowel and slide it into postition and it's equally easy to remove it or refold it for more or less lumbar support. It would be equally easy to slide in an air bladder.

I'm sure Mazda didn't intend it that way but it's simple, cheap and easy.

Reply to
XS11E