65 Mustang Starter Help

I am having a problem. I had the transmission rebuilt on my 65 mustang. I started it and drove it home. Once I got there, it won't start at all. I turn the key and the radio etc. comes on, but no juice to the starter. I replaced the solenoid and ignition key, but it didn't fix it. Does anyone know if there is a ground or something that goes to the transmision that may be causing my problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
murphygarage

Do you get power to the starter when you turn the key? If so, the starter is toast. If not, it's a solenoid problem. If you get some juice, but not enough to turn the starter motor, it's battery cables. All of this is assuming it's not something simple like a bad battery or loose wire on the ignition switch.

Reply to
.boB

Check the park/neutral start switch, its alignment and associated harness connector/wiring. This is in series with the ignition switch. An open circuit here will cause the starter solenoid to not trigger, thus a no start condition. Switch is mounted on the tranny...HTH

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:31:53 -0700, murphygarage rearranged some electrons to form:

Did you check to see if the starter was connected to the battery cable? Maybe they forgot to hook it back up.

Reply to
David M

Buy yourself a $5 GO/NO GO test light and do some troubleshooting.

Reply to
Kruse

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:34:59 +0000, David M rearranged some electrons to form:

or it was loose (since you said you started it once). There is also a ground cable that goes to the engine block, make sure that hasn't fallen off either.

In any case, you chould be able to fix it by tracing out the circuit path and using a voltmeter.

Reply to
David M

I'm also guessing it's the neutral switch. Instead of rooting around under the car and checking it, it's usually easier and less messy to just disconnect it under the dash (2 wire harness) and short it out, bypassing the switch itself.

Cheers!

zëkë

Reply to
Zeke-baby

Sounds like, since it started once for you, that something is just loose. Since the tranny was rebuilt, I would suspect the neutral satiety switch has a loose wire.

If you do not have them, I HIGHLY recommend you purchase at least one repair manual, Haynes or Chilton (actually, I would suggest both).

If you but at someplace like NAPA they will run around $25. However, if you go to

and check their books section for repair manuals, Ford Mustang, you will find both available. Follow the link to new and used starting at $1.99. With shipping, i got both for about 50% off each. You will also find a selection of restoration books etc available. Many of these same books are available through parts catalogs for classic Mustangs at full price. In addition to Amazon, there are other used book sources on the net.

NOTE: Chilton had two different books for your year. I prefer the Chilton Repair Manual for 1964.5-1973 Mustang/Cougar.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike