New Charger ad, more crap

The more appropriate statement would have been "GM will never offer equal or better performance than a Vette for near the same or less money". The Caddy is in another league from a price/technology standpoint.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

It's not about the importance, but the satisfaction of building a custom chopper or whatever else from a stock motorcycle in your own garage. Built my first one back in the late '60s.

Was referring to custom choppers, not regular motorcycles.

Because it's a fun project to do. If you're just going to look at it as a waste of time and money then that's your choice.

Apples and oranges.

It's not about caring about their motives. Just an observation.

-=G

Reply to
Grumbler

No ear plugs to protect your hearing at the higher speeds?

I don't go into town much what with being more into riding on the backroads.

-=G

Reply to
Grumbler

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:vN2dnanwcMEn283enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Whoa, let's back up a bit here. GM's 4.4 blown Northstar puts out

469hp? And what's Ford's blown 4.6 doing? Hmm...
Reply to
Joe

Buying a Harley when Japanese and Italian bikes are available certainly speaks volumes about the brain size of some people.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

I know. There are also people out there who buy pickup trucks with powerful engines that will never be used for hauling loads of lumber. It's sad, isn't it?

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

At what point to you graft the German cross on the top?

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Never mind the wind! How about the Harley bike SOUND? Never has so little horsepower made so much noise.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Were also the ones who kept the company alive during the dark days of AMF and turned the revitalized one into a stock market darling. Glad I got in early on that one.

They are into the urban hippity-hop gangster crotchrockets and can't afford 15K plus for a new scooter.

That is part of it, it is also a comfort issue for others as well. On top of that those full-face helmets are a real bitch for us old geezers & our glasses.

Oui, but of course.

We also have the disposable income and respect the heritage. We know that to be an American and keep Americans employed you need to buy American products. Why the hell do you think the Harley styling has been ripped off so much by the Jap Cruiser market?

Hell we are the living classics. By the way I just bought an `06 EG Classic. Thing is to damn quiet and I've got to get some new mufflers just to make it sound like a Harley. Damn EPA & CARB rules.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

He'll probably appear in "Dub" magazine at some point.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich wrote in news:dto0l1pomu7nhe370g2d1tdbasve7rveo2@

4ax.com:

Nothing sad about power at all. Don't like the smell? Time to get out of the kitchen.

Reply to
Joe

Rich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Posts like this speak volumes about the brain size of the poster.

Reply to
Joe

Well the whole idea behind a chopper originally was that it was a stock bike that you "Chopped" up yourself. Of course there are also the old-school Bobbers that start with a stock bike and a hacksaw.

The importance of building it yourself is the knowledge of where every part is and what it does.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Rich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Don't tell me - you drive a Toyota with a fart can exhaust.

Reply to
Joe

First & foremost the Caddy guys have bolted an Eaton Roots-type supercharger to the top of its Northstar V8 to create the most powerful Cadillac engine ever. The Vette is still normally aspirated. Bolt on an Roots Supercharger to the Vette and it will eat the Caddy for lunch. Additionally, the Vette is a Sports Car, damn near an exotic and the Caddy is a Saloon designed to go up against the Euro Saloons of BMW & MB.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

It is also a Saloon as opposed to a Sports Car.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I would bet it is all a matter of tuning. With a few tweaks the Cobra could be at 500 rwhp/rwtq.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

That knowledge can be had even if you didn't build the bike. I doubt a single high quality chopper could be built by an individual in his garage cheaper than buying one from a shop after the parts, tools and fabrication equipment is purchased. Given enough time and money many people could build their own bike but most don't need to do it to enjoy the ride.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

The old Cobra 4.6L or the new Cobra 5.4L?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

He TOLD me he didn't build it. That's how I'm sure. Now run along.

Reply to
Ritz