OT: Idle Motor?

My wife's 2002 Neon had to go to the shop for an idle issue, the dealership came back and said they need to put in an idle motor? Can anyone tell me what is? I am sure it has to do with keeping the idle constant...Here was the problem: When you brake to come to a stop with or without the A/C on, the car would drop to 750RPM and act like it would stall and then it would smooth back out to about 1000...

Thanks,

Shane

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Probably something similar to the IAC(idle air control) unit which is in the mustangs. Sounds like it has the same symptoms or similar symptoms to a bad IAC. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Thanks Eric...thats just what I wanted to know.

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Shane Metzler opined in news:3f54f5d6$1 snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

Meaning -USUALLY- you could clean it and save all those bucks... but it's your car.

A BAD IAC would just stall and not recover.. A sticky one reacts slow.

Why are they replacing it? They get the parts markup and labor too.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Its covered under the warrenty for the car, so I told them that they could fix it if it didnt cost me anything. They also gave me a list of crap that needs to be changed/cleaned...such as changing the spark plugs, wires, front rotors, brake pads and all four tires. The ironic part is one of those tires is brand new...only about 3 months old...They also told me the intact, throttle body and fuel injectors needed to be cleaned. The car only has about 20K on it. We bought it brand new in October 2001...It's a 2002 Neon...Anyways I told them only to fix what was covered under warrenty, which was the Idle Motor and a sealt belt sensor.

Is it me or is it rediculous to think that all of that needs to be fixed/cleaned already...I have never heard of spark plugs and wires needed to be changed in 20,000 miles...

Am I wrong with these things or does everyone feel that the dealership is trying to rip me a new one...LOL...

Thanks,

Shane

constant...Here

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Shane Metzler opined in news:3f55eb2a$1 snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

Tires?!!!!!! If they're well above wear bars and not weather checked and dont shake the car, no.

MAybe the brakes if predominate city driving. Highest wear factor: humid climate - rust sheen on rotors.

Plugs and wires...They dont know what the driving conditions are:

Most OE wires last 8 years, 80,000 Except maybe in SW desert

Throttle body cleaning... Well, if the IAC is sticking, then yes.

Lets see... you seem to do daily short commutes in the car, right?

Maybe thats why the dirty air assy... engine doesnt finish cleaning up condensate/VOC's through the PCV and it fumes up the other line while in cool-off

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Would a dirty IAC fluctuate the idle speed ??

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

constant...Here

Reply to
Katmandu