OT: This has got to be the most underhanded "phishing" scam yet

Most phishing involves an email pretending to be ebay, Amazon.com, etc. threatening to cancel your account if you don't provide some very personal information. But this one takes the cake. I just found out about this one because it just happened to me.

In this case, the "bait" is a small but unfamiliar charge showing up on your credit card statement (usually 9.95 or 11.00). The company name shown on the line item is something like "PANSALCORP.com", "EADENS.net" or other web address. The victim says "hmm, I don't remember doing any business with that company," and of course the next logical action is to visit the web site (e.g. PANSALCORP.com) to see if it might jog their memory.

What they find is a web site claiming to offer "website design" or something similar. And, oddly enough, there is a link right on the main page that reads "What is xxxx billing me for?" (where xxxx is the bogus company name, like PANSALCORP.com). "Hmm," says the poor victim, about to bite, "maybe I can follow this link and see what is going on here." Well, the link takes them to a form asking for (you guessed it) some very personal information (including, but not limited to, last 6 digits of credit card number, name, email address, phone number, ZIP code). [Author's note: by the time I got here, I already smelled trouble so I didn't fill in the form. I'm glad I didn't.]

So now the outfit qualifies as a low-life on two levels: First, they fraudulently charged your credit card, so they at least get a few dollars out of you; but they go on to phish some very sensitive, personal info when you come to investigate the charge.

On closer inspection of the web site, there are many giveaways that it is not a legitimate business. Most prominently, the site has a link right on the main page reading "What is xxxx billing me for?" Now, when was the last time you went to a legit company's web site and found a link, prominently displayed on the main page, asking if they've charged your credit card by mistake.

But digging deeper, I found the following text on the page:

"...[scumbag] is the perfect resource for companies that are looking at having a professional quality website layout at an affordable price. One look at the quality and detail that is put into each and every design and you'll understand why..."

A Google search finds 77 web sites with this exact text, word for word.

These people apparently don't use the same company name for very long. They set up a web site, bill a few thousand people's credit cards, then shut down that web site, and start a new one.

What I really want to know is, how did they get my credit card info? The author of the following page suggests that they may be generating random numbers, issuing charges against them, most of which won't work but some do:

And this site has some more details about this scam:

John Vannoy

Credit card numbers follow a formula to be valid numbers. I don't know what this is, but they likely know it. It could likely be figured out to some degree with a website or other piece of software that checks if the number at least can be valid.

Reply to
Brent P

You could easily use an online merchant such as Verisign, Authorize.net, etc.. to check the validity of CC numbers & expiration dates. I still think the scam is pretty retarded...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Very, very easy. The old AOHell software had a cc# generater in it. It's what people were using to scam AOL with a get free AOL accounts. The reason there are so many of these slimeballs is because they know they will get away with it. They are in China or Korea and the CC companies just reimberse the customer and chalk up the $10-$20 as operating costs.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Personally i think the scamming scumbags should be strung up by their balls with a guitar's top E string,and once they are hanging there,let all their victims take turns to punch the crap out of them with sharpened knuckledusters. Bastards.

ANdrew

Very, very easy. The old AOHell software had a cc# generater in it. It's what people were using to scam AOL with a get free AOL accounts. The reason there are so many of these slimeballs is because they know they will get away with it. They are in China or Korea and the CC companies just reimberse the customer and chalk up the $10-$20 as operating costs.

Reply to
me

at 27 Jul 2004, John Vannoy [ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

This happened to me about 6 months ago. A $9.99 charge on my card for 'web advertising'. I just called my CC company and they gave me a domainname. When I checked into it, the addresses the CC company had on it did not tally with the one on record at the domain registrar. One I believe was Arizona, the other up north somewhere. This was enough for our CC company to refund the charge immediately and investigate this incident.

A month later we got a call from our CC company that someone tried to charge $0.01 against my card but the expiration date was wrong. They wanted to know if this was legit. Of course not. So it seems someone nabbed my card info at a restaurant or store. My CC company imediately blocked the card and issued a new one with a different number...

My advice to all is to triple chacke credit card bills and bank statements for any charges that seem out of the ordinary. If you find any, contact your financial institution ASAP and ask them for more details on it so you can verify if it's legit or not. Also, get a shredder and shred everything that has names/cc or account number on it before you throw it in the trash.

Reply to
Paul