Pee On SVT

A friend of mine shot me an e-mail today with these thoughts:

Pee on SVT. Who needs 'em, when you can buy a 300-horsepower GT for $24K.

And I add, a GT that run mid 12's at 112 mph with some traction, a chip, and a couple hundred pounds tossed out. Thoughts...?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1103077338.509048.80870 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Agreed, but you do give up the Ford factory warranty and the turnkey solution. But you can just go to Steeda, Saleen, or Roush for that. Then again, you can build a real sweet low 12-second Fox car for a lot less than $24k.

Patrick, you know that '83 LTD of yours would make an absolutely _killer_ sleeper with about $15k worth of work. It'd be a magazine front page car.

Joe

I know. But right now I have two kids in college. Plus, I'm going to school. And then there's the home projects.

Translation: No money and no time to work on cars. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Michael Seeley

"they were fairly decent on the purchase price (got screwed on the trade though)"

That's exactly where new car dealers make their money!! They make VERY little on new cars. It's ALL in stealing the customers car (Trade-In) for as close to wholesale as possible.

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

I woulndt neccessary say PEE on SVT.. i think all SVT are top quality built.. And you cant beat that snake badge on the side... But if speed is what you want, why not get a used GT for under $15,000 and mod it to where you will be hanging with the big time HP cars... Im not sure if i would buy a 05 GT myself, im still trying to think if i like them yet... I still like the older 87-93's boxy look myself... But i did have a 2000 GT with a Vortech and that thing kicked ass...I dont like the 1999-2001 cobras cause they look like GT'S... I do in fact like the 94-98 cobras' , they have a sweet ass look to them.... 03-04 cobra's are sick just because those puppies come with a warranty and are supercharged... Cant beat that for the price... Ive seen a few aorund here for sael going for $22,00 $25,000 now... Im sure the price will drop even more once the 05 gt gets mainstream...Im old school though, 5.0's are what i go after still....:)

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

What...do you have a secret code to see cars? I checked and saw only GT's-- they were 24k-27k. There is a HUGE difference between a GT and a Cobra. Check your facts

Reply to
Gearhead-FMC

I suppose it all depends on what one thinks SVT's purpose is. I believe it's purpose is to provide reasonably priced, well engineered, nicely styled, and mostly balanced performance cars in order to improve a nameplate's exposure in the marketplace. All that's great for the enthusiast but the point is to sell more base models and provide something at a reasonable price. Saleen and Roush are the high dollar alternatives that provide something else (not always better engineering or performance) and SVT is supposed to, imho, fit in between the base modesl and these, leaning more toward performance than styling.

We can play games all day about buying this and building that for a lot less money. So what? It will turn out to be exactly what was paid for: rough riding, hard to drive in many circumstances, and low on amenities. But it would be *fast* and if that's all a car is supposed to be, go for it. I'll argue that that's not the demographic interested in SVT products. It is an ancillary target demographic for the results of SVT's engineering via trickle down, but that's it. There's a large enthusiast base that want speed, performance, *and* comfort and amenities. They are willing to pay for it. . Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Let's try this. What is the web site? If I see

I see no SVT or Saleen.

Reply to
Gearhead-FMC

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Capitol, Capital no heading or subheading for Saleen. If I select SVT Cobra or Convert, there is not inventory! I guess they sold the "several" in about

3 days.
Reply to
Gearhead-FMC

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Reply to
Michael Seeley

I see them... beautiful cars.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

message

Reply to
<memset