Some advice on noise laws

Recently, there had been a mild crackdown in Toronto for "noisy" cars. This primarily involved ricers who have 1000 watt stereos playing at

2:00am but also some cars with loud exhausts. If you get a ticket for this, do what a guy I know did. Take it to court and take in a measurement of your car's exhaust note and the same from a Harley Davidson motorcycle. The Harley was 15db louder! The judged tossed the noise complaint. Not likely he could rule the bike illegal since they all sound about the same. The fellow has a 1992 GT with somewhat "loud" cylindrical mufflers. You can buy a decible meter at Radio Shack for about $30.00.

-Rich

Can we be sure that terrorism and WMD will join together? If we are wrong, we will have destroyed a threat that, at its least is responsible for inhuman carnage and suffering. That is something I am confident history will forgive. But if our critics are wrong and we do not act, then we will have hesitated in face of this menace, when we should have given leadership. That is something history will not forgive.

-Tony Blair

Reply to
rander3127

That's good advice. thanks Rich :) They have been talking about changing that here where I live.Anything they can do to F--- with people here in California, rather than take care of business that is.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Check you motor vehicle laws. In my state (US) DMV regulations require a decibel reading taken 50 feet from the mid point of the vehicle per SAE J1169 for exhaust noise. Cop frequently ticket on 'ear noise'. You can beat them if they don't do the SAE test.

Reply to
Fred Brown

If they'd just target the rice, I'd be happy. I am occasionally awoken by the BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! of the supposed badass Civics and their megawatt subs. Plain old stupid and rude, especially at 2:00AM on a weeknight.

Reply to
Keith

hehehehehehehh thats funny ......target the ricers !!

Reply to
Silver Stang

Well, I know this is gonna get me flamed, but I wish they would knock a few decibels off the ass end of those Harleys...

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Agreed. One of those f*ckers woke my ass up about 3:00 this morning. Not just cruising by either...he had it gunned. I still can't figure out why people think they sound good. To me, they sound like a severely out of tune jaloppy.

Reply to
Keith

They sound like flatulence to me.

I like the engine brakes on dump trucks in the morning about 15 minutes before your alarm goes off !

I live in a Rural / Residencial zoned area. There are NO noise bylaws in effect here. I guess they figure farm ops are noisy and too bad. Ironically I have a very quiet horse ranch across from my house so I hear braying and whinneying most of the time! However if I uncorked the exhaust on something, the rancher would come over I tell me off right quick ( the neighbours kid found that out driving an old RX 7 with no muffling ) as his horses are extremely sensitive to loud noises and they are worth a LOT of money! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I use to ride, and have owned Yamaha and Harley bikes - I always hated loud pipes. I applaud everytime I hear about people being cited for loud exaust on cars and bikes (and car stereos also). It's really pitifull when the exaust of somebody's ride is louder than the exaust of my airplane.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Anyone know a website that has automotive specific laws by region? I'm thinking of getting an h-pipe (with cats) for my baby but seeing as how I have a judge living 2 houses away and a local cop on either side of my I don't want to be breaking any laws, ya know? :)

Reply to
MustangMan03GT

Hey, lay-off us Harley riders as your justification for your noise :). We have enough of our own problems and we at least we do not blast ghetto music as we cruise the neighborhood :). A stock Harley exhaust is actually rather quite at idle & cruise. Yes there are aftermarket systems that can be quite load while under throttle, but that doesn't happen all the time.

On a motorcycle a loud exhaust system is one of the few things we have to help make our presence known. We used to have our daylight running lights to help us stand out in a crowd. Now that most cars have them we are blending right back in again. A some what loud exhaust can and has been a life saver on a bike. Ever hear their dinky ass stock horns? A couple of good throttle raps can make even a dazed driver sit-up and take notice.

Most areas where they are passing ordinances on noise have some type of decibel level established. The best thing to do if ticketed is to perform the test. If you are over, calm down the exhaust, get the repair certified and claim defective equipment. This will usually get the citation thrown out. Believe it or not this approach also works with speeding tickets. If you get one have your speedo calibrated on a dyno and claim defective equipment. Usually only works once though.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

My oldest daughter calls them "Butt Flappers"

Kate

| > Kate | | Agreed. One of those f*ckers woke my ass up about 3:00 this morning. Not | just cruising by either...he had it gunned. I still can't figure out why | people think they sound good. To me, they sound like a severely out of tune | jaloppy. | | -- | -Keith | '96 GT 5spd ... with an '02 engine | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Sorry Jim... Did I fail to mention that whole world revloves around "Me me me" ???

*wink*

Since you brought it up, when my kids were at home, I told them that they and their friends were to turn stereos down before entering the neighborhood. They still do it. Taught them and a few of the neighbor's kids to drive slowly through the neighborhood too. Now a couple of them are helping 'enforce' the neighborhood rules, drive slowly and keep it down.

Kate

| > Can we be sure that terrorism and WMD will join together? | > If we are wrong, we will have destroyed a threat that, at | > its least is responsible for inhuman carnage and suffering. | > That is something I am confident history will forgive. | > But if our critics are wrong and we do not act, then we will | > have hesitated in face of this menace, when we should | > have given leadership. That is something history will not forgive. | > -Tony Blair | |

Reply to
SVTKate

FWIW,long tube headers with 3" diameter,12" long Dynomax bullet mufflers right off the collectors will damn near wake the dead......LOL

Reply to
winze

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:16:40 GMT, "Ralph Snart" wrote something wonderfully witty:

You wouldn't be flying a F-18 Super Hornet on full afterburner would you?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

If you like that defense, you'll probably buy this one:

On a bicycle, a handgun is one of the few things we have to help make our presence known. Sometimes we have to put holes in your fenders or windshield, so you'll know we're there. Some extreme hardcore bikers use a 12-gauge, but reasonable riders stick with a .357 or just a 9MM.

Reply to
Bob WIllard

We don't want bikers to "make their presence known". It really pisses me off when some asshole on a Harley with straight pipes guns it past my house. Especially in the wee hours of the morning, or when I'm trying to sit in my yard to relax, or trying to watch a movie, or ANY f*ing time! There is just no good reason for having a bike that raps out 100+ decibels. The cops need to come down hard on these loud bikes, but they never do. It's confusing why the bikers can continuously get away with creating all this noise pollution.

Sometimes I wish I could sit on my roof with a sniper rifle or an RPG and wait for one of these rude bastards to race down my street. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. (Can you tell I'm fed up?)

Reply to
nytebyte

The city I live in is doing a widening project on a road near my house. It has forced me to go through the more residential part of my neighborhood and eventhough the posted limit is 25mph, I keep it down to 20 and have the radio either turned off or down low. This is because there are little ones playing out in front of the house (very tiny or no backyard). I've had a few of the parents give me a wave of thanks which gives me the warm fuzzy feeling for doing something right and being noticed.

Reply to
Greg B.

Man, I have that fantasy EVERY DAY TOO!! I routinely line them up in my magic .303 and pop them right off their POS. I mean, I do this every day.

The worst however, is when these idiots go through an underpass and gun it. The sound is trapped. I've been walking to work when this happened once and my ears once rang and hurt for 2 days. I pity the poor babies and kids walking under there.

BELIEVE ME, the next POS that does that, I'm going to get a license plate and charge them with assault and then sue them for damages. I work for a metro police service, I've talked to our lawyers about this... as far as they know, it's never been done before, but assault is anything as simple as spitting on someone or anything that a reasonable person should have known would cause damage. And I can't wait to do it!

As for why cops don't come down on these idiots, laws vary and it's not a property, violent or drug-related crime... hence it goes way down on the priority list. But yeah, I'd love to see it too!

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

No, the worst is when these people think they're loud shit is actually FAST.

Reply to
Brad