Supercharging a 96 cobra

Ok I'm ready to supercharge my cobra but I know I have got to be very careful about the parts I use? I want to go intercooled 7psi but no more because I've heard horror stories of blowing up the bottom end. Has anyone supercharged their 96-98 cobra? what were your results? what did you run? How long did has it been running?

Reply to
dave

What type/brand of blower do you plan to use?

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
dave

The KB kits are very well thought out and are one of the safest ones you can install, IMO. With the intercooler at 7 psi, and KB's tune, you should be just fine. You are going to love the twin screw. It will make you think there is a nice high revving big block under the hood and

12.90s should be no problem. You might want to do a clutch upgrade and rebuild the Tracti> kenne belle ts1000-96c $3700 with cooler extra pulley for 7psi and pulley > wrench
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

note that you can get more boost than 7 with smaller pulley. Intercooling is the way to go. I have an 8 # KB with a 5 # pulley, but it will put out 8 pounds at 4,000 rpm, so I have to keep rpm low, and use octane booster in gas. Course I could put retard on, which I should, but have not. (no intercooling either) Stay away from detonation KB has the best low end torque of any of them, well worth it, too much fun

87 5.0 93 5.0 8#
Reply to
Anabaena Microcystis

I have a Blowzilla/Flowzilla combo on my '89 LX with water/alcohol injection to cool the intake charge. I have run up to 16 psi but the heads on a stock 302 block tend to lift at that pressure. Any little bit of detonation results in a blown head gasket. That being said, 16 psi from a twin screw puts a new definition on what one defines as good throttle response. The low end torque at boost level tore up the stock T-5 in short order. Accelerating hard in third gear just after rebuilding the traction-loc, with the extra clutch in each side, did it in.

You should look > note that you can get more boost than 7 with smaller pulley. Intercooling is

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

who makes the water injection stuff ?

Seems like it would have to tie into the tack or mass air somehow, so a home brew would not work too well. I ran into a chart that had the tradeoff between HP and water vapor somewhere, did not seem that bad, the tradeoff is worse backing the timing out.

Reply to
Anabaena Microcystis

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Thanks!, hot on the trail now, make that 1993 8# chill out some and go faster!

Reply to
Anabaena Microcystis

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions. As the saying goes... "been there and done that". I'll be happy to let you know my experiences and they may save you a little agony.

BTW, with water > Thanks!, hot on the trail now, make that 1993 8# chill out some and go > faster!

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE