SVT in need of support

Some disturbing info from the modularfords forum. I don't think it's rumor either. Looks like Ford is going to be bombarded with faxes. Here's the link to the thread:

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Mike R opined in news:svt-cobra-2310041959010001@user- uiveq0a.dsl.mindspring.com:

Well, sort of.... Some confidential source!

I wouldn't be surprised at all... SUV sales are in the toilet and folks are finally starting to understand that gas is and will be a bargain under $2

It's all that stuff from china you guys are buying at HD Lowes and Circuit city..

Now the chinese want to live like us! the cobra will probably be the last muscle hurrah... look for SVT to switch to "tuner" mode

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined

What I MEAN is that bit about the Lightning being shelved was published on the "Automotive News" site, 10/20....

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

So be it. With the current condition of the engine in the GT the plain ole GT is back to the chalkline where it was with the advent of the 89-> Fox cars. You can take a plain old 5.0 Fox and easily get close to 500 RWHP out of it. I believe that the current version of the modular engines are at that point, just look at the actual dyno results from the Cobras and Lightnings. It will just fall back to a tuners market, surley you didn't expect the whorse power wors to last forever did ya?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I thought the 5.0 block was only good to around 500 HP at the crank... after that, there were block stress problems to contend with...

But overall, I agree with you to a point... but it's leaving those who want the factory performance high and dry. Why take a 260hp GT and modify it to

400hp when you can buy one that way from the factory with room to grow *and* a warranty? Not to mention that there are plenty of people who don't really want to be doing the tuning work...

JS

Reply to
JS

Nothing ever does Fox. Carroll Shelby saw the writing on the wall back in the late sixties too. He knew it was over and requested to cancel the program. The Mustang performance line up was top heavy especially during

1969, with Machs, Bosses and Shelbys. Also with increased oil prices on the horizon, high insurance rates, even competition among employees within Ford, something was bound to give.

A somewhat similar situation is recurring again and it's no surprise. We've seen fuel prices continue to ratchet upward. Higher HP means outrageous insurance rates for many. The performance line up is confusing with the GT receiving another attractive HP boost making it to some degree, a competitor against the Cobra as the Machs and Bosses did with Shelbys in 69. And I'm sure there's competition once again among employees in the Ford camp. That's probably a given....

So alot of loyal blue-blooded enthusiast want to at least speak their minds to anyone listening at Ford because the bean counters may get there way this time...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

The Lightning news was only part of it. What I'm talking about is the reality of the SVT organization being completely disolved...

With the Focus canned, the Lightning shelved with the earliest return in

08, if that, the only thing left is their flagship product. And with Coletti supposedly no longer head of engineering, I'd say that's quite a recipe for the demise of SVT. Let hope not...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Have you driven a Ford lately? The bean counters have been getting their way for many years...

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán