Value of an SROD?

I have a 1982 SROD (four speed overdrive) manual transmission sitting in my garage, complete with bellhousing, taking up space. It's meant to go behind a 302 of that era, and it's actually in pretty good shape except for a hairline fracture in the input bearing retainer that would necessitate getting a new one. The thing is, would anyone actually want to buy the thing? From what I've read about the SROD, it's pretty weak (lower torque rating than even a basic T5) plus it's easy enough to run something more modern like a T5 in its place so I can't imagine there being much of a demand for it. I figured I'd toss the notion out to the crowd and see if there's a market for such a thing, or if I'd stand to make more money by selling it to a metal recycler. I found two eBay auctions for SRODs, no bidders on either one. Would this thing have a better life if it were to be reincarnated as some soda cans and roof gutters?

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

You're right. Really doesn't have any performance application at all. And I think it requires a specific bellhousing, too. Not much value at all, IMO.

However, there are a lot of Ford trucks and vans that used them, I used to own one. Eventually you'll find someone who needs it.

Reply to
.boB

Probably worth having for the bellhousing. The bellhousing bolt pattern matches that of the Tremec tranny and can be used to swap in a Tremec to an older car.

rd

Reply to
RD Jones

I know this post is old but I'd buy the bellhousing off of you if yo

still have it

-- mshaheed

this thread:

mshaheedk

I still have it, but to be honest I've never noticed any difference between it and a normal T-5 bellhousing. Still, I'll check my stockpile when I get home tonight and compare part numbers and whatnot to check for sure. I'll post full details of what I have lying around as soon as I check.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

It looks like it's still there. I have two bellhousings I thought to be identical, but one's a D9ZC-6394-BA and the other's a E6ZR-6394-AA. I also have a somewhat beat up Lakewood bellhousing that's the racing approved version of the D9ZC. Are any of those what you're thinking of?

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man