Value of '75 Karman Cabriolet

Charles,

I would argue that a car dealership is NOT the best place to buy a ACVW from. I would also say that this convertible is not for you. Too expensive it the first place and needing too much work in the second. Since it appears you aren't going to do the work, it just compounds the problem. I'd say without having seen the car that a 75 SB vert in mediorce condition is only worth a couple of grand in my book (you can find very nice versions for under 6 grand). Specific things you need to watch out for is RUST - to the pans, channels, front end, and support rails (I assume SB verts had these like their older siblings). Let me suggest that you decide on what particular model ACVW you want (early bigwindow ragtop, bay or whatever). I say stick to your guns, as if you buy something else than what you want, guaranteed you will see the car you wanted shortly after the purchase. It may take you awhile to find the right vehicle, but once you do you won't be dissappointed. So, I further suggest that you check into the local VW scene (local clubs & shows or maybe a shop specializing in ACVWs), thesamba.com or even worse come to worse ebay (which is the largest used car lot in the world). Avoid the car lots. Good luck and let us know what you buy. - DB

Reply to
DB

Here's a 75 for comparison

Here is a 67 euro model
another 67
DB

Reply to
DB

I was driving around near where I live and saw a yellow Karmann Cabriolet for sale. The sign said it was a 1975, so I checked the VIN and sure enough it started with 155-2xxxxxx. but there is a little rust showing where the running board meets the driver's side body, it's been re-chromed and repainted, but the chrome job is developing rust already and there are more tiny signs of rust. Door seal on the driver's side doesn't fit right. The top looks like it may have been partly reworked at some point. Back end is lower than the front. Otherwise not a bad-appearing car. Unfortunately it still has to pass the Illinois smog check, too.

The price is a bit more than I would be willing to pay for a car that I'm basically going to have to hie off to the body shop to arrest the rust, and have the chrome redone. And the rear suspension at least adjusted and new shocks fitted. He's got a modified air cleaner on the engine, I'm wondering what other mods have been done, and if I will be able to get the thing through smog check. I'm also wondering what about the rust I can't see yet?

Sad, too. If the price was decent, I might take a stab at it, but I've lived in houses that didn't cost as much as he wants for the convertible. Albeit that was MANY years ago. . . .

When I was your age . . .

What think ye, gentlemen?

I don't know what it is about VW's, but I've had car dealers try to LIE to me about VW's for years, thinking I didn't know any better, I guess. I've wanted a VW too long to let a dealer try to tell me a '64 BreadLoaf is a '68 BayWindow. (Besides the body, the VIN was a dead give-away.) I had some dealer tell me a '63 Karmann Ghia with no turn signals and no wipers was worth 9 grand. (He still hasn't got any takers on that one.) I've had some dealer try to sell me a '71 Super Beetle that had been in a wreck and put back together with WEATHERSTRIPPING on the trunk lid was worth 4 grand. Is it me, or are these guys visiting the Richard Ira Bong Recreational Area a little too often? I don't mind negotiating, but don't out and out LIE to me, I'll tear your lie to shreds. I have this group and I have various factbooks on VW's. I read Small Wonder several times before I had a driver's license. (Yes, I've got it bad. The first car I ever drove was a '62 Corvair.)

Charles in Palatine.

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

I thought so. Thanks.

My dream VW would be a '67 Convertible. As to taking it to a body shop, I've not got anyplace to take it apart myself, and leaving it out in the open in a disassembled condition would merely be asking others to enrich themselves at my expense.

Actually I'd settle for a Thing if I ghought I could get it through the smog check here. I have a 95 Previa they have tested twice now and I don't think they know how to test it, rear-wheel drive and all. Imagine what the testers would do with the whole engine works back there. . . .

Just another goverment scam helped along by the Greens. The bad vehicles almost never seem to get caught.

Charles in Palatine.

Reply to
Charles Fregeau