Re: COnfused on how this group works.

frankly, some people take offence when they get flamed. If you have a valid point it's better to reinforce your argument than raising your voice. Also being humble makes you a better person.

If you read newsgroups long enough, there are a lot more stupid answers than, stupid questions. You just have to use your better judgment. More or less it's OK to cross post only if the topic applies to both groups. Some people don't like to reply to cross posted groups. I guess they feel like spam bait or something. Who knows, who cares?

As for this NG, if it's Z related, it good to go. At least in this NG, there aren't many NG police, unlike other groups I read. They get mad when you top post. Like who made it a crime to top post?

Cheers! JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I don't even know what Top post is... I am not all nerded up like these guys... I am more into cars... but hey... I was told this would be the spot to get info... but... I doesn't seem to be the case.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

EXAMPLE:

Top posting is when you reply to a message on the top with quotes.

Bottom posting is when you reply on the bottom with quotes.

-------CUT-------- This groups is not carried by most ISPs, probably due to the lack of posts. This NG was created to talk about all Zs, from a 1971 240Z through the current 350Z. If your looking for more specific conversations regarding your model.

TT.NET for Z32s (1990-1996) 300Zs

350Zforums.com for Z33 (2003-up) 350Zs Z31.org for Z31s (1985-1989) 300Zs etc.
Reply to
Joseph Wind

LOL,

Klinglifer you have been around here long enough to know the deal man, don't be coy. At first I honestly thought you were a troll but I changed my mind. Being educated to Usenet is not "all nerded up." LOL

(Example of a bottom post)

Reply to
Paul Maxson

your joking. people get mad at this? that is a bit much. but hey... makes sense no? its the response... and the original is below.

I don't know anymore. I just love Z cars. GOD knows I do.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

I used to frequent the groups a few years ago. Generally, people would help each other with problems and discuss issues about their cars. Recently, I have started visiting again. What I see now is still a large number of people who help each other with problems and discuss issues about their cars.

But I also see a dramatic increase in the number of trolls and brats - people who behave like unsupervised teenagers. These people try to monopolize the bandwidth with vitriol and anal BS such as the evils of top posting. They have nothing of value to contribute and they live for the chance to engage you in some irrelevant shouting contest.

The soluti> your joking. people get mad at this?

Reply to
E. Meyer

Read what you just wrote, which is included below. Suppose someone is reading your post. Your first words are, "your joking. people get mad at this?" What is the reader going to get from that? People get mad at what? The reader has to scan down the page to find out what "this" is. Then he has to scan back up to find out what you had to say about it. You put an unnecessary burden on the reader.

Top posting is just plain discourteous. If you post discourteously, you have to expect discourtesy in return.

The correct and courteous way to post *for the convenience of your readers* is to post underneath the words/sentence/paragraph you are responding to. And delete any parts of the message--especially earlier posts in the thread that are not pertinent to your message--so as to keep everything nice, compact, and convenient. Leave only enough material so that someone coming into the thread at that point knows what you are talking about. And if you remove anything of what was said by the person to whom you are directly responding, it is courteous to insert something like "<snip>" to indicate the removal, just in case you are inadvertantly guilty of taking a statement out of context.

Another reason for snipping irrelevant material is that in some countries people pay by the character for the material they download. If you keep forwarding a lot of extraneous stuff, which they have to pay to throw away, they have a right to be angry.

Reply to
John Varela

man that is just a preference. its like the toilet paper roll.. some want it to hang in front some in back... Cant make everyone happy.

that is to be honest a bit of a pref thing.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

good point.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

WOOOHHH! Ok.

what you guys think about that new Z... with the TOP UP?

(shakes...)

Reply to
KINGLIFER

It's the preference of just about 99% of all Usenet readers. You can make about 99% of the readers happy if you will follow Usenet etiquette and post at the bottom of the message. Some threads can be hundreds of messages long and being able to start at the top and see the progression of the message from the beginning to end by scrolling down has become the logical way to conduct Usenet discussions. Otherwise about 99% of readers will just dismiss your messages and consider you an ass.

Since you are confused about how Usenet works, you should first read some informative sites about Usenet etiquette. Here is one:

If you do a search, you can find many, many more.

Dustin

Reply to
Me

Obviously you don't, because you keep top posting. If your "stuff" is automated, automate it to bottom post.

Dustin

Reply to
Me

automated, automate

realax man. obviously I quickly said thank you.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

99% ! How did you conduct that survey?

Reply to
E. Meyer

Your post looks great now. Allow me to say "thank you."

Dustin

Reply to
Me