93 Nissan Hardbody V6 starting problem

alternator test good. Is it the starter? Will a car jump start with a bad starter? This problem occurs randomly every few months. Once, my friend tapped the alternator body with a wrench and it started but I've tried this many times with no luck. Its driving me nuts because the last two times I had to get a jump I drove it straight to the garage and told the mechanic my problem. When he checked the battery and alternator everything was fine. I turned the car off and presto it started right up. He didn't believe there was a problem at all. Is there a short? Will a starter somehow revive itself?

Sounds like a short to me, not the starter. I would double check the connections at the alternator, since a little love tap fixed it once.

Reply to
ppointer

Just the rapid clicks when I turn the key. It jump starts fine. Battery and alternator test good. Is it the starter? Will a car jump start with a bad starter? This problem occurs randomly every few months. Once, my friend tapped the alternator body with a wrench and it started but I've tried this many times with no luck. Its driving me nuts because the last two times I had to get a jump I drove it straight to the garage and told the mechanic my problem. When he checked the battery and alternator everything was fine. I turned the car off and presto it started right up. He didn't believe there was a problem at all. Is there a short? Will a starter somehow revive itself?

Reply to
klargi

something is discharging the battery, probably the alternator.

The alternator output probably checked good but when the engine is off one of the diodes in the alternator is leaking causing the battery to run down

and alternator test good. Is it the starter? Will a car jump start with a bad starter? This problem occurs randomly every few months. Once, my friend tapped the alternator body with a wrench and it started but I've tried this many times with no luck. Its driving me nuts because the last two times I had to get a jump I drove it straight to the garage and told the mechanic my problem. When he checked the battery and alternator everything was fine. I turned the car off and presto it started right up. He didn't believe there was a problem at all. Is there a short? Will a starter somehow revive itself?

Reply to
NissTech