94 Pathfinder manifold studs - warrantee extended??

I heard somewhere that Nissan extended the warrantee to 100,000 miles for the infamous exhaust manifold stud problem.

Does anyone know if this is true? I had both sides on my 94 PF done before 100,000 mi, and am wondering if there's any possibility they will reimburse me for the repair if this is true (I had it done at a Nissan dealer).

I called Nissan, and I have to wait until tomorrow while they "dearchive" my VIN to get the answer from them.

While I'll hopefully get an answer from Nissan tomorrow, I'm curious to know any other info, and other people's experience, in case they say no.

Probably a fools errand trying to get reimbursed for this, but it's worth a phone call to Nissan and a post here to try!

Thanks - John

Reply to
jdr01930

Many years ago I called them with this very same problem. I was at least 15,000 miles out of my warrantee; I was the original owner; I had all of the work done at the Nissan dealership. I don't remember what the other factors were. The total bill was $450 (back in 1997). They gave me $400 and a $1,000 coupon toward the purchase of a new Pathfinder.

Reply to
ppointer

Thanks - that's good to know. If they say no to a reimbursement, I might whine and grumble for one of those $1000 off coupons. But if they'll give me one, hopefully I can get one towards an Xterra since I'm seriously considering buying one when the

05's come out.

I'll just tell them the truth - I'm buying a new car next month, and if they stand behind their product and give me incentive, it'll be a Nissan, if not, I'll be looking at other manufactors. Doesn't hurt to be "squeaky".

Incedently, i called back this morning. They had my info but the VIN had not been dearchived as of yet...

Reply to
jdr01930

"jdr01930" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I cant see myself ever buying a Nissan again- simply for the reason you mention of quality and buying from a dealer that stands behind their product. On my 92 Pathfinder I replaced the driver's exhaust manifold and

4 studs for around $650; I am saving my money to do the other side next month. Another classic problem with these motors is the rear main seal going out (another $1000+ job). Here is the kick in the pants- I only have 93k on the damn thing. If Nissan would pick this up I would totally go back for my next purchase- action create loyalty with me. Let me know what happens.

If Nissan will not work with you I recommend having a local shop do the work as they will charge much less. And from the 3 shops I called-

*everyone* is familiar with the Pathfinder gasget/stud problem. Good luck.
Reply to
MM

That's too bad you had to replace the manifold on your Pathfinder. I took mine to the machine shop and had the pair of them planned for under $50 (it might even have been $30). Then my cost on the parts to do both sides (all studs, nuts and spacers as it should be done, not just a few) and even a close quarters Dewalt drill setup only ran me about $400 (including the machining work above).

Now as for economics my Pathfinder being a '95, lets see that makes it now 10 years old. So $400 into that 10 year time frame comes out to an average of $40 a year. Yeah, I'll take those unexpected maintenance numbers any day. :-)

Even assuming a rear main seal does start to leak, which regardless of mileage, rubber does tend to deteriorate after 13 years (you did mention yours is a '92) so let's add those numbers, $1000+$400 comes to $1400 (which is overly high, no Nissan dealer in the PA area charges $1000 to do a rear seal on one of these models, but hey we'll run with the inflation from your country) so that still comes out to only $140 a year for unplanned maintenance. $11.66 a month. I know people that spend that in coffee each morning at Sheetz (lets not even discuss the price of smokes for those so inclined...). :-) Again, I'll take those maintenance numbers any day on a reliable vehicle. :-)

Wil

Reply to
Truck

I tend to agree with Wil on the math for some of these big ticket items when you keep a vehicle that long. You gotta look at it from that perspective. I tend to look foward to: I told myself when I did a bunch of repairs between 100,000-120,000 miles is that it's cheaper than a car payment if I end up getting several more years from the truck. I think I'm over the hump for a while now after MAJOR break job, starter, and a few other things. The truck is running great.

BUT - After I had the front pipe replace last week and the extra noise from the exhaust leak was gone, that telltail clicking noise is now heard. They guy who replaced the front pipe confirmed the back right stud is shot AGAIN. The dealer replaced all the right side studs less than 2 years ago

- THIS I will complain to the dealer about - if they did it right the first time they should not start failing again after only 2 years!

But anyway - I think based on everything I've read the manifold stud issue is a goof on Nissan's part, and if they are offering any kind of reimbursement I certainly want in! But I think the dealer needs to eat it for the second round (Wil - I think it was you that said they should mill/plane manifolds, looks like they didn't).

Finally - the Nissan rep I spoke to about the manifold stud reimbursemt thing never called back, and has not returned voice mail I've left for him. Even if they aren't gonna offer any compensation, I would at least expect a call back! I'll talk to someone else tomorrow - when they offer to transfer me to his voicemail I tell them he has abandoned me (lol) and I just want the official word.

Reply to
jdr01930

Just a follow up on this, in case anyone is following it...

Two things:

  1. Still haven't gotten the time of day out of Nissan Consumer Affairs. Will probably call 1 or 2 more times just for the hell of it.

  1. Regarding the manifold stud that broke a second time - the dealer is going to replace the manifold. Apparently it's warped (in addition to the busted stud). I pay 0 for the manifold, and they will install it and not change me labor. I don't know if the manifold was warped 2 years ago when they replaced the studs the first time, or if this is a new developement. Anyway, I'm happy with with their offer, and since the dealer is taking care of me, I will be buying that 05 X from them. (at

124000 miles, they could have easily told me to take a hike - bad PR, but I know a lot of dealers that work that way).
Reply to
jdr01930

You are probably better off getting the existing manifold machined flat

- if you are going to keep the vehicle. The new one is simply going to warp as well.

Reply to
Rob Munach

I think you're getting a good deal from that dealer. Who is it?

Reply to
ppointer

Reply to
Shawn

has the warrantee for the manifold studs in fact been extended? if so, what's covered? Thanks, Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Yeah, i was pretty happy with that. New manifold was installed, total was just about $250. Dealer was Kelly Nissan, Beverly MA.

I ended up buying an 05 X from them, too! First one sold in New England!

Reply to
jdr01930

Why the heck are these manifolds so prone to warping?

Reply to
jdr01930

I called the corporate office regarding my '94 with less than 70,000 miles and was soundly rejected for any sort of compensation. They stated that there is no recall or bulletin attached to my VIN. Can anyone who has actually found success with reimbursement tell us exactly which channels you had to go through? Thanks.

Reply to
hps103

The warpage is a consequence of broken manifold studs. If the studs don't break, you get no warpage.

Reply to
ppointer

I believe it is the warpage that breaks the studs. It is a poor manifold design. I heard the passenger side ones warp more because there is usually more standing water in the road which splashes up and warps the manifold.

Reply to
Rob Munach

You have it wrong. Remember that the authorized repair is to replace the studs. My '94 had studs replaced with

Reply to
ppointer

I took mine to a former Nissan tech and asked how much it would be to fix it. He said he didn't know until he saw how many studs had pulled the threads out of the head.

Reply to
Rob Munach

This would confirm what my co-worker said - Nissan's only covering '96 and above model years. Us WD-21'ers are out of luck, regardless of milage/age/etc

Reply to
jdr01930

Well, my studs were replaced with the NEW PART NUMBER studs at about

98,000. Then had to be replaced again at about 124,000. (passenger side both times). That second time, the dealer replaced the manifold and studs and only charged me parts. It's really starting to sound like a crap shoot. Maybe a few big puddles, slash, warp, snap. Personally I'm gonna try to avoid the deep puddles just in case. (use to love spashing though them when conditions were right!). I don't think Nissans authorized repair actually cures the problem.
Reply to
jdr01930