'95 Pathfinder universal joint question (NissTech?)

Weather cooperating I'll be dropping the rear driveshaft on my '95 Pathfinder XE (4WD, A/T) next weekend to replace the universal joints. Unfortunately I've not yet been able to latch onto a proper Nissan '94 Truck/Pathfinder manual to check some info. I have the '95 supplement (yay eBay. LOL) but it doesn't cover it (no changes).

So I've had to drop to the last minute/last resort of a Chilton manual (yeah yeah, I know... after all my years of preaching right? I keep losing the bids...grrr...) and it lists the play limit as .0007" with anything more requiring using a thicker retaining clip. I was hoping someone here might have access to the factory info and can confirm that is .0007" and not .007". My Starrett dial indicator is only in .001" increments so if I need to postpone the replacement until I can get a .0001" increment unit, so be it.

I purchased, of course..., Nissan u-joints and they came with multiple thickness, color coded (4 each per pack of red, black blue and green) retainer clips. NissTech, do you go by the `letter of the book' on this one or do you compare the thickness of the old retainers against the new ones (use micrometers, etc.) and then use the appropriate thickness? Or do you have another method that you wouldn't mind sharing? I'd sure appreciate it. :-) Or if anyone else is in the know... :-)

Also, it mentions in a `general' way in the Chilton (eww..., there's that word again. LOL) to not mix/match the colors as it will create a vibration. Now, do I want to be sure and use, for example, one red on each opposing end or would I need to use all 4 red on the entire joint? (Still kicking self for not going higher on my eBay bids and getting the '94 manual...)

Lastly, the replacement Nissan u-joints already have the caps full of grease so they're ready to go, would it hurt to pump some NGLI #2 approved wheel bearing grease into the cross units before I assemble everything? They are totally dry (and there is no grease fitting provision) so I wanted to ask before pumping grease in and possibly setting up another potential for something becoming unbalanced.

Thanks to all,

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Oops, I meant NLGI #2. :-)

And so there's no confusion, each u-joint kit has 16 retainer clips (4 of each color set mentioned below).

Wil

Reply to
Truck

All good questions Wil, in all honesty, in my 16 years as a technician, I have NEVER had to replace a U-joint on a Nissan rear wheel drive vehicle.

From What I have heard from the parts guys ( brainiac's one and all) the u-joints are not sold separately,you had to get the whole drive shaft which makes no sense at all.

I don't think the tolreances are as fine a 7 ten thousands (.0007)

I do think that 7 thousands (.007 ) is more like it.

I would compare the thickness of the old clips and go from there.

I will try to get a look at the manual tomorrow, we were so busy today I did not even have time to take a p*ss.(technician humor)

talk to ya soon Wil

Kenny

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks for the info! Wow, if you could check the manual I sure would greatly appreciate that! Unfortunately the dealer in my area is also a Toyota dealer and when they brought the franchise rights from my former employer years ago, they didn't get any of the equipment or manuals so they can't assist and the old shop doesn't have them anymore. If only I had known they were disposing of them in some fashion....GRR!

That 7 ten thousands just sounded way to fine to me as well, I could only envision that being a Chilton boo-boo, big surprise right? ;-)

I figured I'd go ahead and just change the fluid in the transfer unit while I was there as well and that would minimize the mess once I pulled the drive shaft out of the housing.

I can't recall ever doing u-joints either. The only thing I remember pulling drive shafts for was to do a clutch or replace the carrier bearing on models so equipped (which mine isn't). So that in itself is a good testament. :-)

I hear you on being busy in the shop. I remember that when we were dead, we were VERY dead and going home early, and when we were busy... ;-) It seemed to be one or the other usually, rarely ever a decent mix. :-)

Thanks again! I'll be keeping an eye out for ya. :-)

Wil

Reply to
Truck

I've got the real Nissan 1994 truck/PF manual.

Play limit is .0008" (8 ten thousandths). Runout limit is 0.024". (24 thousandths)

It lists EIGHT snap rings in various colors, in increments of .03mm (about 12 thousandths). Now, how you get the end play under .0008 when the snap rings are in increments of .0012 (and end play is twice that because there are two snap rings), I dunno. Ah, it says "select snap rings with a difference in thickness at both sides with .06mm (0.0024 in.)" so you can do some mix and match. The color codes (thinnest to thickest) are:

White Yellow Red Green Blue Light brown Black or Pink No paint

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Good Lord! LOL Thanks for the information Chuck. Wow! Yeah, this is one project that may be put on hold for a bit then. :-) At least I've got the joints, the joint tool for now but it definitely sounds like I'll need that new Starrett head unit when the time comes. :-)

And I've finally won an eBay auction for the '94 Truck/Pathfinder service manual and wiring supplement just this evening so in 2 weeks or so I should FINALLY have my own `bible'. Thanks ever so much again for the information though.

Wil

Reply to
Truck