Exhaust covered on warranty?

I have a 98 Pathfinder and I purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty.

Two weeks after I purchased the vehicle I told them it had an exhaust leak and they told me I was crazy. Recently I went to a Midas to have it checked out and they showed me a hole in the flex pipe that is just below the passenger floor board. According to Midas the item itself costs around $600 for the entire piece. Now it has been six months since I purchased the vehicle and I have a hunch they will give me a problem covering it. Does anyone know if this should be covered on the bumper to bumper extended warranty that I purchased?

Thank you,

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

No way to know without reading your paperwork on the warranty. Look it over and see what is says specifically about exhaust system components.

If you have paperwork where they looked at it, even if they told you there was nothing wrong with it, that establishes it as a recurring problem and might give you some leverage.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Warranty or not, that's not a $600 job. You can buy a universal 1 7/8" flex pipe for about $30 and bolt in right in there. I'll bet they'll replace that nice stainless steel muffer with a crappy POS one that rust out in two years for that $600 too.

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Jim

Go somewhere else and have them look at it. If you can buy a whole cat-back exhaust system for 200-400 (stainless steel ones that is) then 600 for the flex piece is bullshit. Don't let Midas jerk you around. You should check your warranty, but they probably won't give you any trouble for it. When I bought my 2001 Ranger this year the front brakes went to shit two weeks after I got it. I called and asked how they could pass it on inspection cause there was no way they could go that fast in 2 weeks. They said no prob and replaced them for free. Good Luck.

Reply to
BD

Cannot address your warrantee. On the pipe off the motor, although I know I'm comparing an apple to an orange, I just had the "Y" pipe replaced on my girlfriend's '96 I30t. The part alone was about $680. Needed another hanger, too. The rest of the system is in good shape.

Reply to
ppointer

Thanks everyone for replying..

Just a follow up:

Went to the dealer a week ago, they said they would check on the warranty and get back to me within a day.. A week later after no contact I had to hound them and eventually spoke to the same person.. This time he did call me back two days later after I hounded him for a week and he said I was SOL because the exhaust was not covered on my warranty.

I then went ape shit becuase I brought it in 4 weeks after the car was purchased and they said there was no leak. To make a long story short they ended up telling me to bring the car in and they will take it into Midas and pay the bill to have it fixed. I'm not completely satisfied with that but I didn't feel like arguing anymore and once they offered to pay I shut up. I assume if I was paying it myself they would probably fix it themselves with higher quality parts and charge me out the wazoo for it..

Will follow up again once I get it back..

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike