prius incentives or cash back?

hi all

will i be able to find a prius this weekend when i go shopping? at a good price? the lower end model(s) seem to fit my needs well. are there any rebates or cash incentives? or is this just wishful thinking?

i have a truck i owe $12K and the kelley bluebook says my truck in its present condition and milage is worth $9k in a trade in. you guys who work the car sales negotating thiung-----what advice do you have for me? am i stuck looking at a Ford F150 4x4 to realize a cash back/incentive large enough to turn my flip/flopped loan around?? i travel about 40k per year and the hybrid looks darn good right now!!.

thanks.

rbhm

Reply to
robertson

For the hottest selling car in America? Be grateful if you pay MSRP!

Wake up Detroit!!!!! Sell us what we need!!!!

Reply to
art

Consumer Reports has good advice on how to buy a car, including negotiation. Go here

and click on "autos".

Borrowing money is expensive. Buying a new car is expensive. The cheapest thing for you to do is probably just to keep driving what you have now until it falls apart. If your car were falling apart now and you had to buy a different one soon, then the minimal total cost of ownership solution is something like a two or three year old Corolla.

A Prius won't even start saving money overall until gas is at least $3 a gallon; I bought mine to reduce pollution and oil imports, and to enjoy geeky new technology, *not* to save money.

Reply to
richard schumacher

You are right, you may not save money (but we are getting close to $3 in California!), but if you are buying a new car anyway the Prius or other high efficiency hybrid makes sense. The money you pay to buy a car goes into the car company, to the dealer etc. When you spend money on extra fuel it goes to the Arabs, the oil companies and other middle men. I would rather have my money go into auto companies that are looking to the future in terms of technology and innovation than enriching the oil people.

Reply to
S Narayan

Since the resale on the Prius is higher than average, it actually saves you money from day one. The deprciation is lower due to demand.

On the other hand... Gas here has gotten real close to $3.00

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Today in the UK I paid 82.9 pence a litre = GBP3.77 / gallon or USD6.84 !!

LJ

Reply to
LJ

  • There is a one-time US tax credit (on your federal income taxes) of ,000 for all models purchased in 2004 or 2005.

Don't wait!

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

It's a DEDUCTION not a credit. BIG Difference.

Reply to
RRG

Right. Buying a Prius to reduce pollution and consumption of a non-renewable resource is not as rewarding as adding another kid to an overpopulated planet.

Reply to
Staff

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you used the wrong conversion here.

1 British imperial Gallon = 4.545 liters. 1 United States liquid Gallon = 3.785 liters.

So it should read GBP3.14 / gallon or USD5.69

Still damn expencive though!

Today I paid AUD0.963 a litre or GPB0.404 or USD0.733. 1 US Gallon = USD2.77

I thought I was getting ripped off.

Australian ULP = 91 RON. How does that compare to US or UK?

Info sources.

Liquid conversions

Conversions
rating

Statesman

I didn't say I agreed with the shortsighted decision to make it only a token deduction, just correcting some possibly misleading information. So the deduction is still available (but sadly getting smaller every year).

Reply to
RRG

Now, now, no need to get snarky; he was merely making a correction. A deduction saves the buyer the tax that would have been owed on $2,000 of income; it does not save the buyer $2,000.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Snarky? I simply wrote the truth. Here in the U. S. one gets a one-time tax deduction for purchasing a Prius and an annual tax credit for each child to age 18. The $2000.00 Prius deduction, worth roughly $500.00, is a reward for reducing pollution. The child tax credit is a reward for bearing children. The planet is overpopulated by any measure. A family raising 3 children to age 18 is awarded about $50,000.00.

Reply to
Staff

And hopefully one of them little snot-noses will grow up and develop a cheap and renewable energy resource that will pay us back on the investment someday ;-)

Of course a country that exalts a *sport* that takes limited skill and only seems to exist to flaunt new ways to chew up non-renewable, planet -polluting resources hardly has it's priorities straight to begin with.

(Jeff) Gordon laps, while the country chokes...

Russ

Reply to
RRG

First of all, it is a tax exemption or deduction, not a credit. It will not lower your taxes by $2,000, but by only that amount multiplied by your tax bracket.

Secondly, it is only for the purchase of a new car, and only for the original owner.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Politics aside, the original purpose for the deduction was to promote hybrid cars. That doesn't look like an issue any more, judging by the prices people are paying.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

hi

well, we get A.) a federal deduction, B.) a savings in gas (i drive 1000 miles per week at 20mpg), and our left hand late in most highways id exempt for multiple passenger vehicles, motorcycles, and hybrids, in DC, thats incentive enough!

i need a cash incentive to turn my flip-flop loan on my truck (i owe !3k and its only worth $9k). it wont happen with a prius, but ill figure out some what to get into a prius.

rbh martin

Reply to
kipster

Yes - I'd say saving $200 to $250 per month on gasoline would be a bigger incentive than the tax deduction.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Depending on where you are, i can sell you a Prius for Invoice plus

1000 on either of the 2 in stock. One package 6 black, one package 5 salsa red. Im in statesville NC.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
toyotrever

By "Invoice" do you mean dealer's invoice or sticker price?

Reply to
Michelle Steiner