Infinity 03 QX4 Service Engine Soon light came on

I just bought this for my daughter and get this light on the next day.. 38K Miles on it. What could this one be? Dmac Tenn

Reply to
Toby

Could be anything ... there should be one or more codes stored in the ECU that can be retrieved via an OBD-II scanner. The light is an indication that the computer has detected a fault with an emission component.

It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap (or bad seal)...

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Only thing I have done to this is add 2 bottles of Chevron injector cleaner to a full tank.. Did that last night and light on this morning???

Reply to
Toby

The ECU is always monitoring the various sensors used to control the engine operation (and ultimately emissions). One of those checks is for gas vapor leaks - which is where the loose gas cap comes into the picture. Did you re-tighten the gas cap so that it clicked? (sorry for the mundane question). Look at the gas cap seal and see if the rubber is intact.

If you have an Autozone nearby, they will retrieve the stored codes from the ECU for you, free of charge.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Why did you put the injector cleaner in it? Shouldn't need it, especially with the low mileage.

Reply to
JimV

Did you put the gas cap back on tight? If loose, that will generate a fail code. When tightening the cap, make sure it clicks at least two times.

Reply to
Willshak

They can retreive the numeric codes, but they often seem to get the meaning wrong. After they retreive them, post the numeric code and AZ's interpretation of it here. Somebody will have the appropriate service manual. And can check their interpretation.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

The guy who bought if for me a dealer told me to. That sure makes sense. I did put in that night and on the next morning. Does Auto Zone get the light off. There is a Nisson dealer here in my town. The Infinity dealer is 120 miles away in Memphis. If it is something that needs attention I don't guess the Nisson dealer will fix it under warrenty?

Reply to
Toby

I just went and checked it and it did not feel tight. I took off and turned till 2 clicks. Will the light go off on it own or do I have to got have it done? Thank all you folks for the help.

Reply to
Toby

If just the gas cap, the warning light may go off by itself. If not, have AutoZone read the code to make sure it is just the gas cap, and then clear the code.

Reply to
Willshak

I took it to a shop that has a VAG.. I gave a 1456 or 57 that was the gas cap. He cleared it. I drove it about 40 miles and the light came back on. I went back to the shop. It gave the same code, he cleared it again. I dunno what it might be but I will let yall know if it comes back.

Reply to
Toby