Just bought a Sentra 2001 1.8L and...

After I filled up the car for the first time the service engine soon light came on.(as is, where is kind of sale) Car is working normally with no loss of power.

Is there a way to read the code or codes without a proper reader? Key, foot thingy!

I have found plenty of website with the meaning of the codes, but not how to retrieve them so far!

Thank you Tim

Reply to
Timmy Jones

If there is an Autozone parts store around, they will read the code for free. Maybe some other parts places in your area will read them for free too. Ask around. The code won't necessarily tell you what's wrong. It will tell you what parameter being monitored has gone out of specification. You need to understand what the parameter is and what the monitoring logic is to determine what might be wrong. Sometimes that's very straightforward. Sometimes it's not. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

It may be you didn't put the cas cover back on tight enough, a similar thing happened to me, and I didn't figure it out until I put gas in the next time and realized the cap was ever so slightly not jammed tightly on.

H, R. Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Or you left it running while filling up.

Reply to
JimV