Keyless remote programming

I purchased a 1997 Nissan Cefiro 25 Cruising G (Japanese domestic market version of a Maxima) last year. The vehicle came without a remote control unit to lock / unlock the doors. Everything works fine using the ignition key that came with the car. I do not know for sure if the car has remote lock / unlock signal receiver fitted. I purchased a remote similar to that shown in the users manual and attempted to program the remote into the BCM.

I followed the Service Manual procedure where:-

1) Get in the car, close and lock all doors 2) Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds.

At this stage the manual says "The hazard warning lamp will then flash."

I my car the lamps do not flash but instead all the doors unlock.

The remainder of the programming protocol seems to fail at this point.

Does anyone know why the doors unlock rather than the lights flash\?

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
Pete