Nissan GPS: Compare with Street Atlas/Laptop

I have been using Street Atlas for many years, on my Laptop, with Earthmate GPS receiver when traveling around (car only) and like it quite a bit. Not perfect, but very serviceable.

I'm considering a new car purchase (specifically the 2004 Nissan Maxima) and see that they have a GPS (DVD-based) system available as an option.

This definitely interests me, because of the 'built-in' nature. The laptop works great, but it's cumbersome riding with it in your lap (that is, whoever's in the passenger seat doing the navigating), has to be booted on/off or otherwise dealt with when making stops, etc. And the voice instructions I find to be mostly not worth using.

How well does the Nissan GPS system work compared with Street Atlas? Better, worse, or just different? Would I be likely to be glad I got the (somewhat expensive!) built-in system, or would I be thinking of breaking out the Laptop with Street Atlas anyway?

Any thoughts/experiences here appreciated. I understand that prior Nissan systems were CD based, which was definitely a down-side, but the new version is DVD based.

Thanks!

Reply to
Don Cohen

As someone who has had the Nissan/Infiniti CD based NAV system and currently has both the DVD based system (in a Q-45) and a Garmin StreetPilotIII, all I can tell you is, go for the Garmin SPIII. Current street price is around $700-750 with a full unlock of the entire USA. It's portable, has a great color screen (not quite as large as the Nissan built in) and has voice prompts for turns. Compared to the $2000 (retail) Nissan system, the only thing you lose is the "Birdview" screen display. Both have to be turned on manually (the Nissan system requires a keypress after it boots, the Garmin requires you to manually turn the system on). The major advantage to the Garmin is that it can be used fully while the vehicle is in operation, while the Nissan system keeps you locked out of many features unless parked, or at a complete standstill. The Garmin has a better database of POI's, especially restaurants and will a LOT cheaper to buy the updated DVD's. The major advantage to the factory system is that is IS built in. but that also means you lose when you unload (sell) the vehicle (or are in another car, ie: rental, 2nd vehicle, boat).

When my current Pathfinder goes away in December, the Armada I'm replacing it with will be ordered without the factory NAV system. I actually prefer the Garmin, and it's paid for.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck.K

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Then you haven't RTFM, as it is quite easy to either mute the voice, or adjust the volume of the voice.

Because it violates the law in North America (to begin with) and so idiot's (like many I see on the road) won't try driving while WATCHING what is, in effect, a freaking TV set. The second (and more important reason to the MFG) is liability (because of reason #1 listed above).

Besides, using the system as a DVD player would negate its use as a NAV system, as there is only one slot of the NAV DVD.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck.K

Hi Kinglifer,

"> I have it in my 350. it works. a bit annoying at times (the voice) can be.

Thanks much for the reply and feedback. I read the follow-ups indicating the voice can be turned down or muted entirely.

Kind of ironic - I'm about to sell my 1990 300ZX TT (I'm the original owner) for an obviously quite different (more practical) vehicle. Hope you're enjoying your 350!

Reply to
Don Cohen

Reply to
KINGLIFER

YES, you can! As I said, RTFM (trust me, it's in there).

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck.K