Re: Nissan GPS: Compare with Street Atlas/Laptop?

I have been using Street Atlas for many years, on my Laptop, with Earthmate

> GPS receiver when traveling around (car only) and like it quite a bit. Not > perfect, but very serviceable. > > I'm considering a new car purchase (specifically the 2004 Nissan Maxima) and > see that they have a GPS (DVD-based) system available as an option. > > This definitely interests me, because of the 'built-in' nature. The laptop > works great, but it's cumbersome riding with it in your lap (that is, > whoever's in the passenger seat doing the navigating), has to be booted > on/off or otherwise dealt with when making stops, etc. And the voice > instructions I find to be mostly not worth using. > > How well does the Nissan GPS system work compared with Street Atlas? > Better, worse, or just different? Would I be likely to be glad I got the > (somewhat expensive!) built-in system, or would I be thinking of breaking > out the Laptop with Street Atlas anyway? > > Any thoughts/experiences here appreciated. I understand that prior Nissan > systems were CD based, which was definitely a down-side, but the new version > is DVD based. > > Thanks! > >

As someone who has had the Nissan/Infiniti CD based NAV system and currently has both the DVD based system (in a Q-45) and a Garmin StreetPilotIII, all I can tell you is, go for the Garmin SPIII. Current street price is around $700-750 with a full unlock of the entire USA. It's portable, has a great color screen (not quite as large as the Nissan built in) and has voice prompts for turns. Compared to the $2000 (retail) Nissan system, the only thing you lose is the "Birdview" screen display. Both have to be turned on manually (the Nissan system requires a keypress after it boots, the Garmin requires you to manually turn the system on). The major advantage to the Garmin is that it can be used fully while the vehicle is in operation, while the Nissan system keeps you locked out of many features unless parked, or at a complete standstill. The Garmin has a better database of POI's, especially restaurants and will a LOT cheaper to buy the updated DVD's. The major advantage to the factory system is that is IS built in. but that also means you lose when you unload (sell) the vehicle (or are in another car, ie: rental, 2nd vehicle, boat).

When my current Pathfinder goes away in December, the Armada I'm replacing it with will be ordered without the factory NAV system. I actually prefer the Garmin, and it's paid for.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck.K

Hi Chuck,

Many thanks for the reply and thoughts.

Your points all seem quite valid and worth considering.

Other than the function lock-out, how well does the Nissan system actually work (in and of itself, or relative to your SPIII)? I realize that the SPIII would be a significantly better value, but let's assume I'm willing to pay a somewhat steep penalty for the convenience of having it built-in. I keep my cars for years, and have the Laptop/Earthmate to use when I travel, so those aren't issues for me.

Have you used Street Atlas with GPS? If you have, how does the Nissan compare in terms of basic function and navigation, accuracy, routing, etc.?

One thing I like about using my Laptop for this is the ability to fairly quickly input data and navigate using the keyboard, and wonder how frustrating that would be with either the SPIII or the Nissan units.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Don Cohen

The Nissan/Infiniti system is (probably) the second best factory installed system on the market today (either tied with or just behind the Honda/Acura system). Overall, it works as advertised. You never get lost (if the address you're going to is in the system) and it's fairly easy to route with or around delays (but you have to come to a complete stop to do so). The database is pretty complete and it offers a very good selection of POI's (points of interest). The screen is easy to read in most light conditions and the buttons (or voice controls) usually work well.

I've used the SA/Earthmate before and didn't like it. SA uses a clunky interface, I didn't like having to use a mouse (or the touchpad) and it was always difficult to find a good place to 'mount' the computer. In terms of how the Nissan system compares, it blows SA into the weeds. Satellite acquisition is almost immediate, the Nissan has gyros and speed sensors hooked into the system, so even when you are not in range of a fix (under a bridge or in a large built up city) the system still works. The voice prompts are far superior (and are speed/distance based).

But there is that little price difference thing ($2000 vs $150 plus a computer).

I can input an address in about 2 minutes on the Nissan/Infiniti system. Finding POI's takes less time.

Good luck and enjoy the new car!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck.K