Pathfinder key question

I just had a Pathfinder "borrowed" by an unknown person. There was no damage to the ignition or the door. The cop said that the borrower probably used a passkey. I knew of no key hidden ( I am not the first owner) on the vehicle and I am not missing any keys. My question; is there a passkey that fits all Nissan vehicles. Seems farfetched. I am wondering if I need to change the locks, assuming the borrower found a hidden key from the previous owner. Don't want it borrowed again.

I use the word "borrowed" because great and progressive city of Seattle has decriminalized auto theft. The charge is now "Taking a vehicle without the owners permission" as opposed to the previous "Grand theft auto" (I just forgot to ask, officer). No shit. Eight highest auto theft rate in the country and trying for Number 1! Is this a progressive city or what!

Sorry about the rant. I think I may be under control now. Question is serious though.

John

Reply to
Taco

"Taco" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Using a "slim jim"(which all tow-truck drivers carry), an experienced car theif can get entry to a vehicle in seconds, so don't expect door damage.

I've heard that some manufacturers(don't know about Nissan) do have something like a 'master key'. ALso, I've heard that at least for some brands, there is a fairly small 'universe of keys'(e.g. maybe only 100-200), so it's not that hard for theives to have a set of keys that will open many vehicles.

Many years ago. my mother locked the keys in the family car, a chevrolet. While standing next to the car wondering what to do, a man walked up, and he also have the same model of chevrolet. Once he realised the problem, he took out his keys, put the key in the door of our car, and opened it.

Reply to
Dave Patton

I've done that twice. Once with my Dodge caraven key on a friend's Jeep. Opened it and started it as well.

The second time was with my Dodge Dakota key which opened another Dodge something but I didn't try to start it. This was in a parking lot where a woman had locked her keys inside.

Haven't had the opportunity with either of my Nissans yet.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell

I've seen repo dudes pick an ignition lock in under 10 seconds. Obviously your Pathpuppy has no theft deterrent ignition inhibitor.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

On the subject of many keys fitting a single car. I read where a Chev dealership had a contest where they awarded keys as an intermediate prize. The key that started the Vette got the car. First key started it. So did a bunch of others. If I remember right they did not give a Vette to everyone who had a key that started the car.

I believe that I will purchase and use "The Club". I have heard they are pretty effective. Can they be picked?

Reply to
Taco

"Taco" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

They are just another means to make the vehicle harder to steal. If yours has one, and the next one doesn't, the thief may take someone else's vehicle. It's fairly easy to defeat any of the 'club like' devices, but takes some extra time - cut the steering wheel with a hacksaw.

Reply to
Dave Patton

If someone wants your vehicle for whatever reason, they're going to get it no matter what you do except maybe if you park it inside Fort Knox.

All security gimmicks do is to deter the casual thief. The proffesional will be crusin down the street in your wheels in a matter of seconds.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

If it has a round key, they are very hard to pick, however it takes less time to hacksaw through the steering wheel than pick most locks.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

There are no "pass keys", that's a myth. You can key some car locks with change keys and masters, but you have to have a pin type lock rather than a waffer lock. I have a hand full of Toyota keys, with those keys and a little skill I can get into 98% of Toyotas that don't have the super duper hooptiedoo cylinders. The same goes for any car that has the normal keys as opposed to the inverted or side pin type locks.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I had a friend that locked the keys in his nissan car. He said he called the local dealer with his VIN number and they had a key waiting for him at the dealership by the time he got a ride over to pick it up. He said they were able to cut the key from the VIN number. That is scary because the VIN # is visable from the outside and it could have been anyones car.

Reply to
larry

Doesn't matter, the steering wheel (easily replaced) can be snipped with a bolt cutter in about 2 seconds. I laugh when I see The Club on a tiny old car that nobody would steel anyway.

Otherwise a battery operated Dremmel tool with a fiberglass blade can cut through most any metal. I used one to cut through the hardened steel shank of a lock that that I could not remove from the spare tire of my pickup truck.

Current Pathfinders (at least the 2001 I recently purchased used) has some sort of imobilizer that requires a special key with electrical contacts on it.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Yes, that would be disconcerting, normally you need the number tag with the original keys.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]