Primera Idle Tuning

I have a 1.8 93 P10 Primera. On cold mornings I can barely get above

60kph as though starving for fuel. It slows down and I have to stop and then take off straight away and it's fine. Even warm at idle it "Hunts" varying about 1000 rpm. I used to be an engine reconditioner but that was back in the old days with engines and carbureters but these fuel injection engines, I'm not sure where to start. It can't be a fuel filter because it takes off again OK and it hasn't had a chance to get warm. To be honest I havn't tried adjusting timing etc yet, I just assume it't a fuel issue. I'm thinking perhaps the injector pumps tied or needs lubricating. Any ideas please. I don't have a manual at all for it. Is there a web site with tune up specs. I got the vehicle in 1999 as a 2nd hand import from japan. Us New Zealanders are big on imports at the moment.

Cheers Nigel

Reply to
Nigel FOOKES

On 8 Aug 2004 23:36:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@xtra.co.nz (Nigel FOOKES) wrote with a sharpened banana:

Hi Nigel from a fellow kiwi, are you getting a warning light coming on at all, if so the main engine control unit will have set a code the other thing to check is fuel pressure as it could be a faulty in tank fuel pump, this is the SR18Di single point throttle body injection unit I'm guessing, I believe this is a japan only motor

Reply to
Johnny B Goode

On 8 Aug 2004 23:36:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@xtra.co.nz (Nigel FOOKES) wrote with a sharpened banana:

Hi Nigel from a fellow kiwi, are you getting a warning light coming on at all, if so the main engine control unit will have set a code the other thing to check is fuel pressure as it could be a faulty in tank fuel pump, this is the SR18Di single point throttle body injection unit I'm guessing, I believe this is a japan only motor

Reply to
Johnny B Goode

No warning lights except when about to die as you'd expect just through low revs. As far as the fuel pump is concerned, if faulty I wouild assume it couldn't keep up with the demand at high revs, remembber it runs ok at normal temp( except idle). But if this is a common problem then I'll certainly look down that path. Cheers Nigel

Reply to
Nigel FOOKES

Why not check the ECU anyway, it only takes a couple minutes...it may show an error code even if the check engine light is not coming on. It can save you a lot of guessing.

David

Reply to
db