Slips out of gear

Hello :),

I need some advice on my 1984 Nissan with 215k miles on it - runs like a charm :D EXCEPT that it will slip out of fifth gear unless it is manually held. I had a aftermarket cruise control put on it - could that have hurt it ? I used the cruise in 5th gear ( maybe that was a bad move ). What effect do cruise controls have on the car - are they good or bad ?.

How can I fix the 5th gear problem - all other gears work fine :D. Can a invidual correct this if so how can I learn how to fix it ?.

THANKS :D

Michael

Hi :),

I have a 1984 5 speed transmission ( manual ) that slips out of 5th gear only. Does anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it ?

Thanks

Michael

Internal trans problems is the most likely problem (a worn out shift sleave and/or fork) The cruise comntrol has nothing to do with this.

Don't hold it in gear to keep it there as that will just tear up more stuff.

Reply to
Steve

Fifth gear synchromesh is shot. You're looking at close to a $1000 repair.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

oh my :'(

Well the truth is the truth.......... Thanks for your help Bill.

Best

Michael

Sorry it wasn't something easier (or cheaper). I had blown mine in a

1985 Pulsar back in 1993. It cost $800 at AAMCO then, but I did have them renew the clutch parts as long as they had the tranny out.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Reply to
Orv