Transmission Saver

I have seen quite a few posts on Nissan trans problems. Well here?s a tip (Sequential steps) to help you prevent future problems.

How many of you don?t use your parking brake, including 5sp manual? Have you ever put your car in park on a hill and found the gearshift hard to pull or heard a loud popping noise when you did get it in gear?

Okay, here?s my sequential steps (I?ve had over ten cars and never lost a trans)

  1. If this is your 1st time getting in the car set the parking brake. Start the car then move the shifter to neutral. Your parking brake should hold the vehicle and keep it from rolling if on a slope. If your parking brake doesn?t hold, guess what?

  1. For automatics ONLY, put the gearshift in park. Turn off the engine. If you set the parking brake first, before putting the gearshift in park the weight of the vehicle will be supported by your brakes and NOT your transmission.

  2. For sticks, leave gearshift in neutral and the parking brake set, turn off the engine. The more times you put 2000 plus pounds of weight on your gears and clutch pressure plate, the faster you?ll wear them out.

I?m sure for some this may be learning to do something new, but it?s not that hard. This is simple and can save you a lot of trans headaches, especially if your vehicle is relatively new.

For some this may be advise too late in coming, but I hope it helps someone out there.

Reply to
SETITOFF

This alone won't prevent all transmission problems but I'm sure it helps. I do, however have a few points to mention. Letting the brake or the transmission alone hold the vehicle is a bad idea. I've had a 5-speed creep on me and had a Ford automatic pop out of park and cross a busy street backwards. Use them both but set the brake first. The exception is in freezing weather. It is not uncommon to have a parking brake freeze in Ohio.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I can't believe that you're having a conversation about whether or not to use a parking brake! That's what it is there for, "parking". I know some of you call it an "emergency brake", but FFS, try stopping in a hurry by using it? When you park, use it. Simple. Whether you car has MT or AT, what harm can it do? (unless you live in Ohio :-))

Greg.

Reply to
Greg

Not just Ohio. I had a handbrake (as we call it) freeze on me in England once. The old-style Mini has a cable operated handbrake, and the cables are underneath the rear swinging arms - just where all the slush splashes.

That's once, and I've been driving over 25 years!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ