Trouble Code P0420

My 2001 Nissan Frontier failed the New Jersey state inspection for the subject code. Looking it up online, I get nothing I can really relate to, i.e., "Remove part "X" -- replace with new part. Code goes away."

Can anyone offer some information as to what I'm looking at here, and can a guy handy with a wrench fix it himself?

Repeating the trouble code, it is: P0420.

If you reply personally . . . then I apologize for the inconvenience of having to remove *no spam* to get a working email address.

Respectfully,

Gary

Reply to
Delta Orion

This means that your catalytic converter is not working as efficiently as it should be. This can be caused by a bad converter, or a bad rear oxygen sensor, or it just might be fixed with a reset or a firmware update. This is one of those times that it's probably best to take it to the dealer rather than throw parts at it.

Reply to
Jim

From nissan-techinfo.com:

"NTB02092

If an applied vehicle has a MIL "ON" and the following DTC stored in the ECM: · P0420 Use the appropriate Service Procedure steps to determine if the bulletin applies to this vehicle. If the bulletin applies, complete the applicable Service Procedure steps to repair the incident, if it should occur. See this bulletin for further detail. "

Go to:

Go to the dealer, have repaired under warranty.

Reply to
Sarky