'95 altima drive axle replacement

I've done this before a number of times but this time I'm stuck. I have the old axle out and can't get the new axle in. When I slide the axle in it stops just short of the bearing housing starting to fit into the bearing mount on the engine. I took the axles out to compare if I had gotten the wrong axle and they are identical then I shined a flashlight into the differential and saw something that doesn't appear right. When the differential was out on the bench when the transaxle was being repaired it looked as if the two axles slide in and almost touch though the driver's side has an internal clip. Well looking into the differential I see a metal cylinder down into the differential from above, falling between the ends of the two shafts. It looks like it is the diameter about the dimension the axle insertion is failing by. Did the AAMCO repair go wrong again? Could they have left out a clip of some kind preventing that from dropping?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Turned out to be a flat on the spline. Someone, somewhere, had put it down ungently and dinged it. A little file work, grease, and it slipped right in.

Reply to
Bill

Turned out to be a flat on the spline. Someone, somewhere, had ungently put the axle down on a hard surface. Some file work, grease, and it slipped right in.

Reply to
Bill