02 SE check engine light on at 59,790

So the check engine light just came on and I am susperciously close to

60k miles. Still getting 28mpg on the highway and plenty of power. Does anyone think this is "programmed" to happen? Or should I just take it in for service. What is the cheapest way to find out what the light is on for? thanks
Reply to
SwampYankee

Many auto parts stores will read the code for free, they may give you a printout of what the problem may be.

-Mike

SwampYankee wrote:

Reply to
Mike

Its not programmed to happen (as far as I know only Honda does that). As the other poster mentioned, take it to autozone or similar and they will read the code for you. Make sure you get the actual code number from them as many times the generic problem description their reader provides is not enough to pinpoint the actual problem. If you post the number, someone can probably tell you what it might be.

Reply to
e.meyer

good advice thanks.

Reply to
SwampYankee

and the check engine light was on because......... =09the proverbial "oxygen sensor". I let the group know cost=20 tomorrow.

Reply to
SwampYankee