1997 Max Problems

Hey everyone. I've searched through and read almost all the topics concerning my problems but to no avail. I have 3 problems that are occuring, all electrical.

  1. The so-far infamous hard-start problem. Its occasional and happens maybe 1 of 20 times I start the car. I turn the key and the Max cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks. I walk away for 10 minutes, come back and then it'll 'fire'. To try to fix this, I've replaced the fuel pump and a Cam Angle Position sensor. This problem has popped 2 CELs. P0325, P0340, P0600. Cam Angle Sensor, Knock Sensor, and Serial Communications sensor. Problem still happens.

  1. O/D Light problem. About 50% of the time when I start the car my O/D light flashes for 5 or so seconds. This normally is a sign of a Transmission problem, so I need this fixed as well. To try and fix this, I've flushed my ATF but to no help.

  2. Cruise Control problem. Another occasional problem. About half the time, I have the cruise light 'light up' on the button, but when I hit the 'set' button on the wheel I get nothing. This I thought was directly linked to a CEL of P0500. Speed Sensor. Which I replaced. Worked for a while, but its back again.

So far after I've replaced the speed sensor, I've got NO Cel's as of now.... however, my 0/D light flashes and my cruise only works half the time. Anybody got a clue???

Thanks for any help

-Ti

Reply to
turboinduction

How many miles, what other items have been changed out recently.

1) Fuel filter changed?, could be clogged. Fuel pressure regulator could be bad? Could be a ignition problem, Distributor: optical sensor could be dirty.

Dist cap/rotor changed? When it cranks and cranks and cranks, is there a spark spark spark? When it starts, does it run fine, or is there some other issues when running.

Reply to
jjjsan

Looks like you have some strange electrical gremlins in your system . . . unless your car really has all those problems. I would check your ground connections. Find them and clean them.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Yeah, I suggest doing the troubleshooting for CmPS circuit - resistance checks for the wiring and sensor. Then replacing the CmPS, even if it checks out ok. The knock CEL was triggered by the CmPS sensor - I'll bet you just need a new CmPS sensor in the end. Otherwise, the no start will become more frequent until you get stuck somewhere. If you can afford it, just order one now so it will arrive in a few days and you won't have any downtime. Replacing it is cake. When mine was going, I found if it wouldn't start I could remove the key and crank again and it would work. But you're on borrowed time.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to consider if your alternator is ok. They can make some weird things happen in general, although in your case it's unlikely.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman