1997 starting probs

My 97 SE sometimes refuses to start. I turn the key, and - nothing, although the lights come on, etc. Battery is 1 yr old. When it happened the 1st time, breakdown truck woman came along and whacked the starter with her stick. Bingo--Maxima started again. Now I carry my stick in case the car doesn't start again, which it tends to do, every 4-5 days. Just giving the old starter a little whack seems to temporarily correct the problem.

Is this likely to be a solenoid, or an actual starter problem? As I understand it, replacing the solenoid is simple and cheap, but if I go to the trouble and find out that it's the starter, well, I guess I'd like to know that beforehand :)

Reply to
limey

If your starter isn't ready to die just yet (as in a solenoid alone might fix it), you may as well replace the whole thing. These starters do die within the lifetime of many Max's, so you probably should get it overwith.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I had the same problem with my 1995. I changed the battery and it seemed to help but a few weeks later the car wouldn't start. I then had the starter changed with a rebuilt one and haven't had a problem since.

Reply to
jfratzel