2000 Maxima Problem

This morning when I started my car I noticed the SERVICE ENGINE SOON, SLIP and TCS OFF lights staying on. I was wondering if this could mean I need major work done on the car and if i should try to drive it or have it towed to the garage. I am an elderly man who seldom drives the car which only has 12,000 miles on it so I'm surprised a problem like this has developed. Thank you.

Reply to
Farner

Failed alternator most likely.

Reply to
JimV

Actaully I think this is indicative of bad ignition coil packs. The

2000 model year is known for premature coil failure and an updated part has been released. The only long-term fix is to replace all 6 coil-packs.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 131k
Reply to
njmodi

Contact Nissan North America at 800-647-7261 then select option 7 to reach Consumer Affairs. My 2000 Maxima GLE was just diagnosed with the ignition coils problem. Nissan denied my request to have my bill picked up, because they claimed "I" have not built up enough goodwill (i.e. have not been utilizing their over-priced maintenance services, or have not own enough Nissan vehicles, etc.) towards them. Total bill to replace all 6 coils is going to be around $700. My wife and I are shopping to replace her car, and it will definitely NOT be a Nissan. Toyota or Honda all the way.

Reply to
weinapril

... it will definitely NOT be a Nissan. Toyota or Honda all the way.

- How many miles? The gasoline alcohol content wears injectors by the mile...

- Its good to vote 'with feet'. However, is it possible with any mfg get parts swapped indefinitely?

- If one takes top ten best vehicles from 2000 -'batch', I guess

90% car assembly plants use all the same parts. Note: assembly, NOT manufacturing plants... Havin said this, what difference there would then be on part x, if it contained a stamp from Nissan, Toyota, Ford, GM or Whatever... all is Bush's fault anyway?

- sad thing is (at least was) that Nissan injectors were made by Bosch (try Bosch plugs or tools and you know why)

Reply to
Wiikinki

Or you could just spend the $360 for the parts and it yourself. I don't see how you can expect Nissan to cover this a on a vehicle that is 6-yrs old. How many miles are on the vehicle?

Coils are easy to replace. If you can use a screwdriver, you can replace coils.

It make NO financial sense to buy another car, just to save yourself $360 on the coils right now... but to each, their own.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi