2000 Nissan Maxima GLE Brakes

Hi, I recently bought a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE with 34K miles on it. In last couple of weeks, i noticed 2 problems with my car.

  1. When i break at arnd 60 miles/hr, the steering wheel rattles. Sounds like a Break pad/rotors problem. Can the rotors get warped with 34K miles, or do i need to get them rotated. Reading the previous postings, it sounds like Nissan break pads aren't the best option, is that true ?
  2. When i drive at 75-80 miles/hr, i can hear a continous belt flapping sound. Does that have anything to do with the timing belt ? What could be the potential problem here?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

-subhayu

Reply to
Subhayu

Rotors can and do get warped with just 34k. I think some 2000+ maxima's in particular had this problem. Usually, if you feel pulsing in the pedal as well as the steering wheel during braking, it is probably the front rotors and if it's only in the pedal, the rears.

As for the high speed belt flapping, the car uses a timing chain. It has two accessory belts but it's doubtful that they would make noise at 34k miles and only at high speed. You sure it is coming from the engine bay? Worn out tires, some even with just 15k miles on them, will sound horribly with increased speed. I had this once and thought something was seriously wrong with the car! You can spray some "belt dressing" on the accessory belts to see if the problem goes away. Listen to your engine bay at idle to see if you can hear anything amiss.

CW

of weeks, i noticed 2 problems with my car.

Break pad/rotors problem. Can the rotors get warped with 34K miles, or do i need to get them rotated. Reading the previous postings, it sounds like Nissan break pads aren't the best option, is that true ?

Does that have anything to do with the timing belt ? What could be the potential problem here?

Reply to
CW

Well the rotor problem really depends upon how it was driven - I have one with over 90K w/o a rotor problem.

I also have a weird sound that you are describing - it appears to be related to speed - say after about 40+ mph usually around 60+ I get to hear it. It seems as if something is in the air intake for the heating/ventillation system. We get lots of tree junk and I think it may be some that somehow got in there. It may be something else, yet to isolate it positively!

Reply to
95-96maximas

Definitely a rotor warp problem. Replace them (never mind having a Nissan rotor machined - waste of money) with a good aftermarket rotor. As for pads, try ceramics. I bought Rebestos and it's been fine. Nissan's may be OK, but dump those rotors. Re your flapping sound, get it up to that speed again and slide it into neutral and see if the engine going to idle speed corrects it or not. Probably not. Likely a tire problem, like balancing. Remember that the engine speed (rpm) at 80 mph can be easily cruised at going lower speeds when held in a lower gear. So, you need to determine if we're talking about a vehicle speed or engine speed sound.

couple of weeks, i noticed 2 problems with my car.

like a Break pad/rotors problem. Can the rotors get warped with 34K miles, or do i need to get them rotated. Reading the previous postings, it sounds like Nissan break pads aren't the best option, is that true ?

sound. Does that have anything to do with the timing belt ? What could be the potential problem here?

Reply to
Bob G.