89 Maxima Hot No Start

I am having a problem with my 89 maxima not starting once its warmed up. Let it cool for a couple of hours and it will start instantly and run until its
turned off. The exhaust has a rich smell, the pump is working fine. Thanks for any help that you can give.
George snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

I've seen similar behavior on a car that had a bad thermo sensor connected to the ECU. Ran rich, stalled, wouldn't start right away. I guess there are lots of other things that cause stalling when warm (do you know if it's getting spark?), but the rich smell made me think of a temperature sensor.