92 maxima 3.0 V6

I am new to the MG. I am looking at a 1992 Maxima 4dr, V6 Auto. There seems to be an intermitent tap from the top back of the motor. It sounds like a Valve tap. This motor has 88,000 miles, never been apart. A service tech at nissan says its a VTC or something. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanx Shawn in NY

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
butch

If you have the SE model (black window trim, white speedo, body color grille, no keypad for doors, 190HP VE30DE motor), it could be VTC sprockets. If it's a GXE, it does not have them, but the exhaust manifold bolts break and sometimes cause puffing/ticking noises.

Gary K

Reply to
gary

If its the VTC then I think that is normal for that year car. Check out maxima.org forums. They have a whole section dedicated to your generation Maxima.

Reply to
Warner Crump

If you have an SE, it's the VTC. Cost me $1,500 to fix when I owned it 8-9 years ago.

Reply to
twaugh5

I fixed my VTC problem in about 15 minutes following the instruction on this web site:

good luck

Reply to
cherrytan

You did not fix it -- simply rendered it inoperative.

Reply to
twaugh5

All I care about is that the noise has disappeared and no noticeable change in performance. It cost mes less than $1.00 versa $1500 to $2000 to change the VTC. From other messages I read on the board, the noise reappeared for some of the people.

Reply to
cherrytan