95 maxima stuck in park

Our 95 maxima was parked today and now the shifter is stuck in the park position. Any ideas what this could be or how to fix it?

Reply to
cooly

On an incline? Is the trans what is preventing the car from rolling? If you could "unload" the trans by pushing slightly uphill, you could probably shift it. Be careful if you try that. Don't run over your assistant.

Reply to
David

Another option (if it's caused by holding the car with the trans), is to

*firmly* apply the parking brake, and jack up at least one front wheel. As above, be very careful.

BTW, if the shifter is binding from holding the car with trans instead of with the parking brake, I'll point out that applying the parking brake before the weight of the car goes on the transmission should prevent it from happening. Also if that's the cause, pulling harder on the shifter might be enough to free it.

Reply to
David

A fuse could possibly be blown, the one that controls the interlock on the transmission, only allowing you to shift from park when the brake is applied. The switch on the brake pedal could be broken. The relay that does the interlock could be broken. The relay that does the interlock could be jammed. Have you spilled any liquids into the area where the gearshift is?

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Just went through this on a '96 I30.

There is a solenoid under the shifter that prevents the button from pushing unless the ignition is turned on and the brake pedal is pushed. Pop off the trim plate around the shifter (it has clips in the rear corners & about halfway up and look under there. If it is gunked up from spills, try to clean it up in there (WD40 might work, maybe brakleen if its really gunky) and it might start working again. If not, check that the cable from the ignition switch moves freely and check that the signal from the brake pedal is getting through.

If the works are not gummed up and the other signals are working, you will probably need a new solenoid.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I've been having the exact same problem off and on for the past few months.

I believe the switch on the brake pedal is fine; I can hear it clicking when I press the brake.

Something must be wrong with my interlock. How much does it cost to fix this? I took it to a few shops and they all told me to go to the dealer.

Reply to
SciKi