Sparkplugs reachable ('92 Maxima 3.0)?

Hi Group:

I have my eye on a 1992 Nissan Maxima with high miles that I'm thinking of buying. I'd like to do a cylinder compression check, but I couldn't see the spark plugs when I took a first quick peek under the hood in low light. This car has the 3.0 liter V6. I have heard of horror stories about how plugs are hard to get at with some front drives. I did a Google search and found no info about accessibility. Anybody have any info they care to share about the Nissan Maxima?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Wm.(Bill) Warning

piece of cake,

all you need is a 5/8 spark plug socket capable of holding the plug when inserted into the socket, a 10 inch 3/8 drive extension and a 3/8 drive ratchet

Reply to
NissTech

And, you have to look under the covers. There's an easily removable plate that cover the plugs and the coil wiring. You won't find any "regular" plug wires.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

there are no covers on a 92.

it all depends on if the engine is a VG30 or a VE30DE

if the engine is a VE30 the plugs lie under each coil

if it is a VG30 just follow the spark plug wires

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks for the correction Nisstech. You certainly know better than me.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

hi Bill i recently replaced the spark plugs in my 92 maxima easy to access...you just need a long reach wrench...its not hard to get at ....you may need a light to help see

Reply to
Rod