96 Maxima Cold Start Problem.

I have a 1996 Maxima 6 cylinder, automatic, with 95,000 miles. Temperatures around Boston suburbs has been in teens lately. First morning starts OK but conks-off right away, if I start and right the way step on the pedal and keep stepping on the pedal few time and finely get the speed of the engine up to 1,200 RPM or so for 10 seconds or so, then I can drive off and everything is just fine, for the whole day So I said this is a plug/points/wire JOB, I looked there weren?t any plugs, points, distributor-cap or wires.

What I learned from these messages that if I changed #1)the fuel filter, #2)water temperature sensor, is there anything ells I could do?

I have this past month put in the fuel tank additive for injection cleaning, in two intervals. Sprayed the aluminum air intake with engine running sprayed it with fuel injector spray, while racing the engine, did this several times with in a minute, it helped plenty and the check engine light went away.

If you could post answers here and feel free to sending me private message I am new at this messaging. -- John snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
xz213

There are plugs and if they are original, they need to be changed.

Reply to
JimV

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:38:02 -0500, xz213 wrote: (snip)

If you got a check engine light (especially along with other symptoms), you should check the trouble code, which may help track down what was wrong. Otherwise if it is an intermittant sensor, it may reappear at an inconvenient time.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Thanks Jim,

They are original plugs, called a garage they are looking at $180 I wonder if that includes things like wires, Have changed many conventional points/plugs/ & plug wires in the past, would this be an easy task for me to handle if I bought a repair book at auto-palace?

Regards, -- John snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
xz213

Thanks David,

How would I check the Maxima trouble code?

Last time I did do it on a Chevy, had to just stick in a copper wire and so on.

Would the trouble code numbers be listed in a Chilton repair book?

Regards, -- John snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
xz213

Reply to
john smith

I had a similar problem with a 95 maxima se with manual tranny. The problem turned out to be the Throttle Body Position Sensor. Had that replaced, and so far no problems.

xz213 wrote:

Reply to
spam.this2003

There is a way to do it for free using a screwdriver instead of a jumper wire.

The codes can be found on the Internet - just google for the site that has the list.

Replacing the plugs is a very good idea - it's only 20min of labor but the plugs themselves cost nearly $70 ($11/ea or something). Only use the OEM dealer plugs to be sure to get it right. It's an easy DIY if you have a spark plug wrench and 12" socket extension.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman