96 Maxima Water Pump

I am curious if anyone has replaced a 4th generation Maxima water pump before. I am thinking about doing it myself. I have done many things to my car myself but I am leery about this work. I have the Haynes book as well as DIY instructions from other Maxima sites.

However, I am still not sure. Firestone said they would charge about $400 and I have seen post on here where amounts of $600-700 are mentioned. The part is only $50 new at O'Reilly's.

My hesitation is because of working around one of the timing chains. It seems simple enough to just remove the tension and rotate it 20 degrees. But that seems too simple.

Also, my car is not running hot yet but coolant is continually leaking and it is all wet around that area. How bad is that to drive on? Will it cause damage to the chain?

Who has done it and what do you suggest?

Reply to
Charlie 3

The water pump job is tough on the Maxima (hence the $400 quote) because of it's location in the middle of the timing chain cover. Barely any room to maneuver, let alone even see the pump.

If I sound dis-couraging its because I am. If you are to do it, I would use the Nissan manual and not Haynes. Don't want to mess with the timing chain.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Totally agree. I have changed on front wheel drive car before, and that was a cakewalk compared to the Maxima/I30. Better to get a part time job and pay off the labor than tackle this. No visibility, no room, plenty of potential to screw up timing. Just say no.

Or, send your dog/family away for the weekend and start Friday evening. You will need every cussword you and your buddies know. Monday morning you can call a wrecker and have her towed in.

Reply to
jmattis