NEED HELP!!! Ignition lock

The key in my ignition lock in my 69 Bug will unlock the steering wheel and turn on the oil & gen lights, but won't turn the rest of the way to to start the car. Does this sound like the lock need replacement or could it be something else? Thanks.

Art Imerito

Reply to
BIG ART 330

The switch part may be melted. Fairly common. On yours, that is a separate part you can order. Installation though involves steering wheel, turn signal switch removal.

On the off-chance that it's a lock cylinder problem, squirt lube down the keyway and turn back and forth.

If you need to use the car till then, look under the back seat for 2 Red wires spliced together (plastic splice) on the left side. Turn key to ON and then jump the Red wires to Battery + post to engage starter.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim