97 Max. Needs Work @ 150K

Mr Shine is the one calling the names,,

and for my .05 cents per mile, I will stick with the Nissan factory certified coolant.

And so,,why did your thermostat go bad,,Hmmmm?

and as they say - your results may vary.

Reply to
common_ sense

I specifically asked the dealer this question about my MAX because they just replaced the water pump. No indication that it takes special antifreeze.

comm>

Reply to
Fred Wilson

It takes silicate free anti freeze, I think if you go through you manual you will find that warning. Nissan factory coolant is silicate free, most OTC stuff is not - use at your own risk. They use factory coolant, so its no issue for them.

Reply to
common_ sense

Actually - all the dealers I've asked, just use local bulk coolant (whatever their local supplier provides). The only time they use OEM coolant is for warranty work. The same is true for other Nissan recommend fluids, e.g. transmission fluid, etc. etc.

Again YMMV.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Hmmm,,"only for warranty work",,Hmmm Now why would that be,,Hmmmm,,??

My dealer uses Nissan fluids.

Reply to
common_ sense

Paul:

I had the axles, CV joints, boots, and bushings replaced on my (100K) 97 Max, and the cost without the extra labor due to wrong parts, and without the bushings was more than $800. Then there was the extra car rental time.

While your suspension is being worked on you may want to replace the worn front suspension control arm and front anti-sway bar stock rubber bushings with new solid polyurethane bushings offered by EnergySuspension.

That will provide you with a marked improvement in steering precision and control over uneven roads and in air buffeting from side winds and semis.

Be sure that they send you the parts with the right part numbers. They sent me the wrong parts, and the mechanic had to keep my car on the lift for three extra days while the new parts were sent.

Be sure that you get the special EnergySuspension grease for the bushings. Otherwise the squeaking sounds made by the bushings will be most evident.

The cost is low, and the benefit is high. Your mind will be far more at ease driving with precision.

Ralph Hertle Edison, NJ

Reply to
Ralph Hertle