Boots on '97 Camry

This is for a ?97 Camry. The outer CV boots were replaced by an independent garage in Dec of 2001 (the car was purchased Jan of 97). They now appear to be cracked and they're advising replacing them and the axles. It appears the original boots lasted close to 5 years whereas the new ones barely 2 years. Is this just one of those things that happens? Should I have expected the replacments to last as long as the original ones? The driving is typically on-street driving (nothing off-road). Is it typical also to replace the axles at this stage of the car's life. The car has 97K miles on it. Thanks,

Marulira

Boot quality varies for the OEM thick rubber to cheap vinyl. You only get what you pay for. Examine closely a genuine Toyota boot and then do the same for a couple sources of aftermarket boots. Choose accordingly.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Marulira being of bellicose mind posted:

Reply to
Philip®

=_NextPart_000_0200_01C3F09D.6BFED3A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

M: the best thing to do is to buy the boots at the dealer, it means OEM = CV Joint Boots. They're kind of expensive compared to the ones they sell at AutoZone = or PepBoys, but the thing is that the dealer only sells the whole thing, = boots for the outer and inner joints; you can buy kits for each side = separately.

I've done that job myself, is not that hard if you know what you're = doing.

About replacing the whole axle, it does not matter when to replace = it, as long as the joints are in good condition; in other words, if they = don't make the "Clank-clank" noise, there is no reason to replace them.

and "YES", this is one of those things that happen; you can just = check the steering system once in a while.

Reply to
FORY

What did you do about the special tool needed to properly install the steel band clamps on the edge of the boots?

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

=_NextPart_000_0074_01C3F18A.0394CC50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Just regular pliers and a lot of strength.

It also depend on the metal bands, but in general, they're easy to = install.

Some people might advice to use a large/big zip tie; never use those for = this.

Another thing is to put a lot of grease before "sealing" the boot.

Reply to
FORY

For what it's worth, my Camry has had to have new boots every 40,000 miles. I have over 120,000 miles on it now and the dealer has been the only one to repair those boots. I've had a lot of Hondas that I've never changed the boots on but this Camry is different. I'd like to know why.

Reply to
Greg B

=_NextPart_000_018B_01C3F551.DB2161E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

You mean that the boots on your Camry keep going bad every 40,000 = miles?? I've never had a Honda, so I can comment on those.

Most likely, the material and quality of the boots are the reason for = this issue.

Reply to
FORY