97 maxima - Trouble starting - neutral safety switch replacement didn't fix it

I have a 97 Maxima that I bought used 3 years ago. It has an annoying habit of not always starting. Pushing the shifter firmly forward would usually allow it to start on the next attempt. Recently the problem has gotten much worse, sometimes it takes many attempts, holding the shifter forward while turning the ignition key with my other hand, pushing the shifter forward and jiggling it to the side, etc.

I took it to a mechanic who diagnosed the problem as a faulty neutral safety switch and he installed a new one. Unfortunatley this didn't fix the problem.

I put in a new battery and had a new starter installed a year ago but had the starting problem before and after getting the new starter.

I had it at a dealer a couple of years ago. They couldn't find anything wrong with it either.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
williamregan